Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:57pm - Nov 4,21 
My buddy and I hunted his farm near Charleston, IL for the 2nd year in a row. The property is managed exclusively for bow hunting, no gun hunting allowed. I saw at least 20 does and fawns on Monday, along with 7 bucks. Two of the bucks were at least 2 and 1/2 year olds but had under developed headgear. The other bucks were little guys, forks and 6 pointers. On Tuesday I hunted a big woods and saw two small bucks in the morning, a fork and a 6 pointer. I saw 2 small does around 1:30 and thought I selected a bad spot with little deer traffic. However, I got lucky around 3:30 pm. Three nervous does came trotting by and were glancing behind them. I knew a buck was coming before he showed up. I grabbed my crossbow and faced myself in the direction the does came from. After about 5 minutes, I saw his hooves and fore legs coming before I could see his body or head. When he finally came out of the brush, I saw many vertical points were on his rack and thought he was at least 10 or 12 points. (He was 10.) All the tines were tall and long with amazing 10-12" brow tines. He was a shooter!

He stopped broadside at 25-30 yards and I had the pin right on his boiler room. It was picture perfect. I squeezed the crossbow trigger but nothing happened. I forgot the switch off the goldarn safety! I then got frazzled and couldn't remember if the safety switch goes up or down. I got nervous about taking my eyes off the deer and out of the scope. I finally clicked it off but the buck was moving again and quartering towards me presenting a really awkward shot with his spine and shoulder blade in the way. Now he was moving but getting really close. I got nervous he would smell me so I rushed a moving shot. The cross bow fired and I could hear the arrow go through him and into the ground. He ran about 75 yards until I lost sight of him. I reloaded and waited about 20 minutes before getting down the tree to check the arrow. It was drenched in blood but there was no blood trail leaving the scene. The lack of a blood trail had me concerned. He should have been bleeding like a stuck pig. And I never heard the typical thrashing about when they go down out of sight. Dang it! I was gonna be upset with myself if this was just a flesh wound. He was so close!

I decided to go back to camp and wait until after dark when shooting hours ended. We came back out 3 hours later and everyone couldn't believe there was no blood trail after looking at the arrow. So we went to the last place I saw him and still no blood anywhere. One of the guys knew the area and had a hunch it went downhill. Time was passing and I was getting dejected that I had blown the opportunity and wounded a beautiful animal. We spent about an hour out there when one of the guys about 100 yards ahead hollered for us. The buck was piled up, dead as a door nail, in a small intermittent creek, headed down hill, about 150 yards from the stand. Man was I relieved! Thank goodness gracious! There was no blood trail because the shot was high, hitting the vitals but the exit wound was high also. The blood pooled inside the animal and never spilled out.

I have good pics that one of my buddies may post here. It was a perfectly symmetrical 10 point with amazing tall brow tines, the first thing a noticed while it was below me. I've never seen brow tines like that before. I hope you like the report and the pics. I've enjoyed everyone here on Chitown and made a lot of good friends. Thank you Marc and team for a great run!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25am - Nov 6,21 
Awesome congrats!!
Can't wait to see the pictures!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:32am - Nov 6,21 

Last edited by colddriver on 06:37am - Nov 6,21, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:33am - Nov 6,21 
What a buck,
Watson it's your turn now!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00am - Nov 6,21 
Very nice buck, congratulations! I killed one with no blood as well. It was a high hit and I found the buck by smelling him actually.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:46am - Nov 7,21 
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the pics and the compliments.

BTW, if you don't know about it yet, there's a good FB page called "Illinois Deer Hunting" which includes 13K bow and gun hunters. There are great post and pics everyday from all 102 counties in the state. Just ask the administrator to join once you find it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:07pm - Nov 7,21 
In that group to ask are there any possible leads to work with to acquire some land. I have been trying public last 6 to 7 years and honestly hard to see any deer. Was looking to see if any private open.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06am - Nov 8,21 
Tons of deer on public, you have to be willing to go the extra mile my friend. I kill one almost every year so do the 12 guys I hunt with all public. Illinois has one of the highest public lands available to hunt?
But anyways check this out.
Thebeast.com.
this site will make you a hunter if you have it in you to learn and go that extra mile.

As for your question check out
Mossy oaks properties lots of hunting land to chose from on there
Sounds like you would like michigan.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Nov 8,21 
Can I ask when you hunt public do you go farther south I usually go Grundy area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:14pm - Dec 11,21 
Congrats Monty ,,, BEAUTIFUL DEER and a Great Story ,,,

Good Luck and Safe Trips

Walldady

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:37pm - Dec 14,21 
Thanks Walldady, you were lost and now you've been found!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: