Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 09:33pm - Feb 3,20 
Last year was a first for trying for walleye on the river and never having fished it before after two days effort ended with one legal walleye. Trying to avoid the tournament that's in the end of march would I be to early shooting for the 22nd of this month? Water temp is in the lower 40s, and now the river is a bit high according to the graphs that I have been watching.

Your thought's?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:21pm - Feb 3,20 
Should be fine. Work deeper holes and areas around them. High clean water ok. Dirty water not so much.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20am - Feb 4,20 
never to early to fish for walleyes .. was out sunday on my favorite river got to my first spot a nice size pool next to current first cast a 18 inch walleye same hole got 2 decent size smallies moved to a different hole than nothing the rest of the day !!! fished cook county forest preserve lake until freeze up was catching walleyes all winter mostly small but still walleyes !! guys who sit home waiting for warmer weather are missing the best fishing of the year !!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:51pm - Feb 4,20 
This is good time of year to get out and best time of year to catch a big fat one. If you are having trouble catching them either move or try something different. No bites after one or two passes I would move location either deeper/shallower or different spot. In general, if you find them in 20FOW in one spot, they will probably be 20FOW in the rest of the river. Watch the graph as sometimes they come up just off bottom and that usually means they are feeding, other times they are laying flat on bottom and very hard to see on graph, but you don't need to see them on the graph to catch them. Some of my best days have been in February and ss we move into March they will start to move out of the holes and stage for pre-spawn.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12pm - Feb 4,20 
To add to RiverRat's post I pull floaters in 3-ways 90% of the time and in cold water I zig-zag slowly 10 feet or so of depth up and down till I start catching fish,then I tighten the pattern up to as little 3-5 feet.And like he said they will pretty much be feeding the same depth in most spots.This is some of the best fishing now if you can launch and the water is clean which is most important.They are in all the deeper holes right now so finding them is easy.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:37pm - Feb 4,20 
Is starved rock a good place to start the search for the deeper holes?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:48pm - Feb 4,20 
Keep an eye on the water temps as well during the month Bill. Some hefty pre-spawn pigs out there to catch this month. The walleye/sauger will start moving up river depending on temps to spawn. There are plenty of holes to hit between Starved Rock and Spring Valley depending how far you want to travel down river. Just give Starve Rock bait a call for up to date river conditions.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25pm - Feb 4,20 
Bill the deeper water starts from the 39 bridge down to Spring Valley.Buster at Cajuns won't be open till early march but the shop just off 80 and 176 may be open but I don't know his number.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15pm - Feb 4,20 
retired trucker wrote:
Bill the deeper water starts from the 39 bridge down to Spring Valley.Buster at Cajuns won't be open till early march but the shop just off 80 and 176 may be open but I don't know his number.

I believe the number is (815) 667-7036. It’s been awhile since I stopped there. Usually go see Buster.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:56am - Feb 20,20 
Thanks for that number Husker,just talked to him and he opens sometime after 6:00 everyday.Looks like saturday for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:08pm - Feb 20,20 
retired trucker wrote:
Thanks for that number Husker,just talked to him and he opens sometime after 6:00 everyday.Looks like saturday for me.

Cool. Let us know how ya do. Looking to start getting the boat ready myself.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:53pm - Feb 20,20 
wsj and crew will be there both Saturday and Sunday in hopes of catching a few more than the one fish of last years trip.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19pm - Feb 20,20 
Given the choice between the Starved Rock pool and Ottawa which do you true river rats think would be the better option this weekend? It looks like the river is dropping and while it appears to be getting muddier now I am hopeful that it starts to clear in the next couple days.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:29pm - Feb 20,20 
Wall-i-king,
If you set the graph date of record back to 1/1/20 I think you will see that things are not that bad as they appear in the 7 day graph. While I am the farthest thing from being a river fisherman, that did help me put into perspective the readings.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51pm - Feb 20,20 
If the launch in spring valley is open,a great place to start.Easy run up to check the deeper holes,easy run down to check the usual places.
Spring Valley-Been awhile for me.Is the Boat place still open and do they sell Bait?
TX

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:47pm - Feb 21,20 
Ottawa would be cleaner being upstream and you can fish there without really needing to travel more than a couple hundred yards,unless you go downriver about a mile to the curve.With the last couple cold days gaff that cove at the Valley launch might have ice.I'm thinking we'll start at SR and if it's not fishable pack up and go to Ottawa.If you make a left out of SR go up the hill and make a left at the stop sign that road will take you to the Ottawa launch.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:22pm - Feb 21,20 
I'll try and stop by the river at Morris before dark and see if I can tell visibility, but looking at the graph it seems perfect amount of flow and depth, right in that sweet spot where you want it to be. Should be a nice couple days out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:28pm - Feb 22,20 
How was it out there? We made the decision to go east instead and see if the rumors about the coho bite were true. Turns out they were and we got into them pretty good. Hopefully the river gods were just as generous as the lake gods today.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:43pm - Feb 22,20 
Water was stained pretty bad, after the sun got high we managed 7 shorts and 2 keepers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35pm - Feb 22,20 
Nice to see WSJ & crew today on the water, Hope your day turned out well.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Rivers » Illinois
Jump to: