Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Mar 31,19 
Hi folks ! Strange things can happen when fishing.Today while trying for bass,I had a hard hit on a 1/8 oz.jig tipped with a craw trailer. Until I saw the fish surface,thoughts of large bass raced through my head.It turned out to be a large White Amur,commonly known as a grass carp.After quite a battle,brought him right to the shorelines edge when the rascal started rolling like a catfish,ended up popping my line and the fish with my jig in its mouth swam off.I hate leaving lures in fish,all I was hoping for was a quick pic then release.This is the third time I have caught these fish on lures.2 times on craw tipped jigs,one on a small rapala.These fish are stocked in this lake to help control the spread of aquatic vegetation.Wish I had gotten a picture of it,easily was 32-36 inches in length.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:46pm - Apr 1,19 
Wow that's quite a lot of fish on bass equipment but your skill set shows. What kind of line are you using?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07am - Apr 2,19 
I never really read grass carp threads but my wife and I just closed on a house that has a small pond on it. We went to the house soon after closing last week and while standing in the kitchen I look out and see a fin sticking 6" out of the water. I go outside and down to the pond and there is at least a 34" grass carp swimming right there. I mean a giant. The next hour I watched him swim around the corner of the pond, pretty neat since I've never seen a pond fish even close to this size.

Quick grass carp story, first few years of College I went to SIU and fished a lot at Devils kitchen. After a big rain we went below the damn to try our luck at bass. There were a lot of card in the small area below the damn but also bass so we'd cast repps spinners and catch a few bass to eat (we were poor college kids and we talked with the DNR and they actually said to take small bass out of the lake). We commonly would hook into a carp so we'd try to get the hook free before we got the fish to shore. I threw out my spinner and within a few seconds I felt a thump and knew if was a carp. Trying to pull the hook loose with no luck so begin to real it in. About 10 feet from shore i see a mouth open with the spinner in it. At that point I realized it was a giant large mouth. Basically jumped in up to my knees trying to get it in. Once i lipped it I almost passed out. Just over 9 lbs on the scale. A true giant and almost lost him because I thought it was a carp!

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: