Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:09am - Mar 20,17 
I went flyfishing over the weekend on the White River in Hesperia MI. I was trying out my new Grandt flyrod with a stone fly tied beneath a egg pattern. I hooked into 1 steel and couldn't land. Landed 2 walleye over 30 inches and 1 24inch eye. Fun way to break in a rod.

Does anyone flyfish for Steel in the Root River in WI? Looking for some beginning tips or a fishing buddy to learn the new river.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:21pm - Mar 20,17 
From everything I've heard, the Root is shoulder to shoulder combat fishing which usually means flyfishing is not easy/fun/relaxing.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:45pm - Mar 20,17 
Wow! Were they 30" walleye? Boom! I know where I'd be going back fishing :) My daughter goes to school in Grand Rapids and I've wanted to go visit her and fish. Maybe I've got a destination! Congrats on a great catch.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:41pm - Mar 20,17 
Quote:
My daughter goes to school in Grand Rapids and I've wanted to go visit her and fish.

Grand Valley State? I have a red shirt freshman football player there.

Go for the fishing in the rivers and the pier heads, hit Founders brewery. You won't be disappointed with either. :winker

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:25am - Mar 21,17 
I fly fished the Root last Thursday. It was not overly crowded, but it was a weekday and the fishing wasn't hot. Change either or both of those conditions and I'm sure it gets tough to find a spot. Bring your roll casting game, you'll need it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:15am - Mar 22,17 
Piranha Fan wrote:
Wow! Were they 30" walleye? Boom! I know where I'd be going back fishing :) My daughter goes to school in Grand Rapids and I've wanted to go visit her and fish. Maybe I've got a destination! Congrats on a great catch.

Yeah, there were a few big ones still hunkered down in there. The season for walleyes had closed the week before, so they should still be sitting around before heading back to the big lake.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:17am - Mar 22,17 
Cobbler wrote:
I fly fished the Root last Thursday. It was not overly crowded, but it was a weekday and the fishing wasn't hot. Change either or both of those conditions and I'm sure it gets tough to find a spot. Bring your roll casting game, you'll need it.

Good to know. Might be able to get out on a weekday. Definitely missing stream fishing after the move from MI. Are you able to PM me any basic flyfishing pointers for that stream as far as depth or presentations that have worked well for you?

Profile WWW  

Board index » Species Specific » Walleye ~ Sauger
Jump to: