Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:45am - Feb 11,19 
I've been watching this thread and had a quick question. Growing up we spent a few weeks every summer vacationing on Saginaw bay (80's up to late 90's when I went to college). Walleye up there were plentiful and we were lucky enough to have buddy with a boat so we made it out a fair amount fishing. I never was able to crack the 10 pound mark (close many times with some 9 pounders). What's a good time of the year to hit Erie for a walleye over the elusive 10 pound mark in open water? I've heard of some 14 pounders coming from Erie, is there much truth to that? Thanks!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:24am - Feb 11,19 
My 2 cents which is only worth a penny.

There are big fish caught all year, but to increase your odds, then fish when they are bunched up.

Detroit river down to the Maumee river and east to the Islands. mid March thru April.
Basically the west end.
Possible prespawn and beginning of eastward migration.

Huron river area and south shore in Nov and Dec.
True trophy this time of year as they are putting on the winter feed bag heading back west to river systems and reefs.

Only problem is the weather.
Early and late season can have some fast changing weather at those times.
Just have to watch and run over for a few days when Mother Nature is happy.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:37pm - Feb 11,19 
Thanks! I heard Spring was a good time but I do enjoy being on the water when its a touch warmer. It sounds like April is the time to be there and hope for some nicer temps.

November and December are out for me. I'm in the woods in November chasing whitetails and December is too tough to get away with the holidays and leaving town for warmer climates the last week of December.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:27pm - Apr 9,19 
Well just got back from the first trip of the year. Sat was a little slow afteer the long drive (left chicago at 10pm) sleep in a little on sat. We jigged round reef for several hours they trolled north of niagra reef. Got 7 jigging with 2 newbies who have never jigged before, then trolled bandits, got some big ones trolling frfom 7 -9 pds. Sunday morning we got up earlier and knocked out a 4 man limit in short order, bout 1 hour and 15 mins. Round reef again. Had 2 new friends come up and took them out sunday night and got there 8 in bout 45 mins. Monday was slower for us. I was off my game and only got 2 bout we finished up before noon. decent weather, cold east wind until monday morning. Mostly males on the reefs, all still had very firm milt. Jigging should last for awhile. Cant wait to get back out there. I heard the perch are biting betweeen kellys and marblehead, might give that a go next time.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:56am - Apr 10,19 
Thanks for the report, we're heading over this weekend. Hope the wind cooperates!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:47pm - Apr 10,19 
wilbur wrote:

It probably meets the letter of the law but I'd suggest a traditional - full size radio and antenna. Not expensive, alot more power - range. Can't loose it, forget it, drop in water ECT...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Apr 11,19 
Handheld radios work just fine. You have to remember that the coast guard has stronger signals then talking radio to radio, plus probably repeaters, they aslo have radio directional finders. I have a handheld for when I go out in my small boat works just fine. remember u need flares and throwable and all the other stuff

Support Staff

Post Posted: 12:25pm - Apr 14,19 
Scratched up a decent bag yesterday, wind day today. Any advice for a nw blow? Any launches/decent spots on the west side, Maumee maybe? Any other Chitowners out?

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Species Specific » Walleye ~ Sauger
Jump to: