Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:54pm - Jul 5,20 
My apologies for the not so prompt report, been a busy week back.

Fished my yearly two weeks in Boulder Junction again and am happy to report good to great fishing all around.

Videos:

Crappies - were more localized and less spread out, but in a bad way. I mean the best action I found was in a 10’ weed edge, in a span of about 40’. If you drifted out of that span it went dead. It was tedious getting limits but they were attainable. Bass pro tubes on squirt head jigs, drifting with a wind, or casting and retrieving when still. Minnow and bobber worked too, just not as efficiently.

Blue Gills / were grouped up just inside of the crappies. Found the bigger ones mostly concentrated in 5-7’ bays. Caught on tube jigs. Everything appeared to be long spawned out.

Perch - were mixed in everywhere. Not much size on the lakes I fish, but a lot of numbers.

Walleye - lake I fish hasn’t been known for walleye for awhile but they started stocking again. Caught a nice 19” walleye this trip while searching for new schools of crappie. Caught on a tube jig in a large 10’ weed basin.

Musky - were super active the first week, and then super cooperative the second week. I had 10 sightings in the first week with no hits and none landed. Some family friends came up for the second week and I ended up fishing with one of their sons in my boat for a few days. We ended up collectively seeing another 15 fish for a total of 25 occurrences! 6 of those were strikes and I ended up landing 2 37” and a 36”.

The first 37” was a pre storm figure 8 fish, I actually couldn’t see anything but I bonked her tail with the rod tip, thought it was a fish, and she came back on the figure 8 and slammed it.

The second 37” I had our friends’ son in the boat for, hit about 40’ from boat. Good hookset, picture, and release. Caught on GoPro.

The final 36” fish I was back fishing alone for. Another strike away from the boat. Landed, picture and released all caught on GoPro again.

Overall, it was a great trip. The fishing was very good, the weather was nice too, we traveled to the porcupine mountains, ate a pair of meals out but enjoyed more lake/cabin time than usual. The icing on the cake is that as of September my mom will be the proud new owner of the cabin I’ve stayed at my entire life. We’ve had a blessed year, and I can’t wait to continue making those outdoor memories. Thanks for reading, watching, and hope this report helps.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49pm - Jul 5,20 
What lakes did you fish? Don’t need specifics, just curious. I’ll be up there in 3 weeks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:26pm - Jul 6,20 
High Lake and Fishtrap Lake. Hopefully that water cools off before you get there. When I was there it was low 70’s, but a buddy of mine told me the water has since made its way into the 80’s. Not good for fishing for and handling muskies. Just minimize time out of water and you should be okay 8)~

PM me if there’s anything else you want to know.
Good luck!

Bob

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:19pm - Jul 6,20 
I use to launch at the Dam (waiting out a rain storm 5 years ago in truck) we saw real real fresh bear tracks 50 feet away at the ramp(after the storm). We would run up the river to Fishtrap. It must be a 8 mile ride but fun driving the bass boat along all the curves of the River between all the weeds around 20 mph. It must have taken 45 minutes and becomes l o n g.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:12am - Jul 9,20 
Great report, thanks for posting. Looks like you had a heck of a trip.
I fished a few times due west at the Turtle Flambeau Flowage. Beautiful up that way but both my trips were doomed due to the mayfly hatch. Do you encounter that by you up there? I know on the TFF it's pretty significant and shuts the fishing down.

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
Simrad NSS12 evo2
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen 2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers
2 High Seas quad rod trees

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Jul 9,20 
ltrain wrote:
both my trips were doomed due to the mayfly hatch. Do you encounter that by you up there? I know on the TFF it's pretty significant and shuts the fishing down.

I've actually never seen it too bad there. I assume it gets bad and that I've just missed it most years. One year, I remember casting as the sun was setting and I ended up with about 40 Mayflies on or around my head. But I know it can get much worse than that. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Bob

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Jul 15,20 
Very cool and I am JEALOUS!!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:57pm - Jul 15,20 
Great report of a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to make it, and the extra hassle of filming it for the post. Almost like being there.

Well done.

Tom

Twin Fins

Board index » Species Specific » Musky
Jump to: