Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Feb 23,20 
Well the crew wsj did not do well due to the dirty water from what we were told. Did not see another fisherman pull in anything today. As with all things this learning curve is swinging away from our friends. Next time we will do better as each time out on that river we learn something.

Thanks for all the help and comments, was nice to see RT and Get the net on the water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Feb 24,20 
Sorry to hear you had a tough day out there - I did hear from a couple local guys that the water was a little dirtier than expected. Any chance you can share what you were doing and where? Not many secrets out there so you are not giving away spots or techniques - maybe can Monday Morning QB it and give you a better shot at success next time.

Was the vermilion running clean? Sometimes you can get fish right on that mud line near the bridge.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:54pm - Feb 24,20 
The vermillion was just as dirty.I was hoping if it was clean then downstream of there it would be better.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:48pm - Feb 24,20 
River Rat,
Have to excuse me as I don't really know the names of the places we fished. We started down stream of the IM canal, bunch of eagles around there. We pulled 3 ways, jigged in that area with nothing to show for the effort. ran upstream and looked for some deeper spots off the main river channel and fished those areas, some times we tried pulling some crank baits since nothing else had been working. We did try both shores, some with a steep drop and the other side that was shallower but had some wood/rock cover that maybe those fish were hiding in. We did try around the dam at starved rock since is was about 2`warmer water, never even marked any fish there. Tried a bit by the Vermilion and that was a bust as well.

The fish did a great job of hiding from our friends this weekend for sure as we did not boat even a small one. As in all learning situations, there was something learned this weekend and will take that along with us next time out.

Almost forgot to mention, Saturday we planned on putting in at spring valley, but it was all ice locked, so we went across the bridge and used a rather primitive launch at the boat club there. They were starting to put in the piers and get the gas pump going. Sunday launched at starved rock.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Feb 26,20 
I broke the cardinal rule of fishing saturday and left a spot we were catching in to try some areas on the way back to the launch.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:38pm - Feb 26,20 
retired trucker wrote:
I broke the cardinal rule of fishing saturday and left a spot we were catching in to try some areas on the way back to the launch.

Did this a couple weeks ago on the ice. I need to kick myself for that every time I do it, so I don't do it again. Left fish to find fish, punched 20 holes, caught no fish, and didn't even get marks. Ended up right back where we were initially catching fish, except with an hour and a half less time to catch em. :rotflmao

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:31pm - Feb 27,20 
yes leaving fish is tough, but I always seem to do it unless the fishing is excellent, grass is always greener on the other side I guess :doh

I also know the temptation of switching up tactics -to keep myself disciplined if I decide to jig I keep the other poles at home.

other times I want to get better at something like pulling, so will bring cranks and floaters and stick with that and keep the jig poles in the box.

Also - fish around people if you are unsure of tactics. If there are trucks in the lot and you don't see any boats in your area and are not catching fish, go find the people.

And if you are fishing an area and someone pulls up, don't be a jerk about it, the north side of plum island isn't a secret, and neither is any other spot on the river :)

Got the itch to get out - almost done re-flooring my boat so hopefully will be out by mid-march for the spawn.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:05pm - Feb 27,20 
RiverRat wrote:
yes leaving fish is tough, but I always seem to do it unless the fishing is excellent, grass is always greener on the other side I guess :doh

I also know the temptation of switching up tactics -to keep myself disciplined if I decide to jig I keep the other poles at home.

other times I want to get better at something like pulling, so will bring cranks and floaters and stick with that and keep the jig poles in the box.

Also - fish around people if you are unsure of tactics. If there are trucks in the lot and you don't see any boats in your area and are not catching fish, go find the people.

And if you are fishing an area and someone pulls up, don't be a jerk about it, the north side of plum island isn't a secret, and neither is any other spot on the river :)

Got the itch to get out - almost done re-flooring my boat so hopefully will be out by mid-march for the spawn.

Haha, no doubt. Last time I fished the north side of Plum Island, there were 20+ boats making jigging passes down it. :rotflmao

The clam beds, the high lines, the Peru flats, the mouth of the Fox, all of this stuff gets pounded depending on the time of year. I actually DO try to avoid the pack a lot of the time, just because I know those fish have been beaten to death when there are 20 boats passing over them pulling rigs or jigging. But if you want to catch a fish or two, following the boats will definitely tell you where the fish are at.

I've found an area I love to pull floaters over, and I've never really seen anyone else fishing it, and I've always caught a bunch of fish there. That one stays in my back pocket for days when I can't put anything together anywhere, because every time I've fished it, I've pulled up a few fish.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:42pm - Feb 28,20 
I stopped by the Morris launch today and the river looks fine - I looked a lot closer this time and its an easy foot of clarity. Not sure how last weekend it dirtied up so bad like people said, but if I was to put in today at Morris I would have no problem with the water at all. Maybe something is going on at the Fox or they are messing with the wickets at Mars or SR cause its pretty much perfect at Morris, and it was only slightly worse off last weekend. I will say the "chalk" that was kinda there last week is gone, but was very minor last weekend so maybe it was the head of something coming downstream overnight, dunno - I would go out if I had the chance.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:50pm - Feb 28,20 
I'm hedging between colder with little wind tomorrow or warmer with alot of wind sunday.I finished redoing my fuel lines and am anxious to see if it solved my problem.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:14pm - Feb 28,20 
retired trucker wrote:
I'm hedging between colder with little wind tomorrow or warmer with alot of wind sunday.I finished redoing my fuel lines and am anxious to see if it solved my problem.

I'm showing just 9mph at Ottawa on Sunday. For reference, Saturday is showing 7mph. I'd 100% go Sunday if I were you RT.

55 degrees and 9mph sounds waaaaaaaaay better than 40 degrees and 7mph.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:28pm - Feb 28,20 
Just saw the forecast pez and it's NW 10-20 now tomorrow so I'll be at SR on sunday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:33pm - Feb 28,20 
retired trucker wrote:
Just saw the forecast pez and it's NW 10-20 now tomorrow so I'll be at SR on sunday.

I thought about it, but I think I'm gonna get my last day out on the ice Sunday at Shabbona. None of my walleye stuff is ready to go. Lemme know how you do.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09pm - Feb 28,20 
retired trucker wrote:

Sure hope it's fixed for you RT. Nothing worse than boat problems. Let us know how you make out.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Rivers » Illinois
Jump to: