Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35am - Jul 15,13 
I still haven't gotten out there--between splitting my time between the yak and the boat and weather that isn't always agreeable, we spent all day Saturday (beautiful day) in the Starved Rock area on the boat. Want to get down (finally) to the Riverside area of the DP on Wednesday. Hoping the weather cooperates. Was wondering what the bottom material is around there. Is it muck, sand, gravel, rock???

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:14pm - Jul 15,13 
Its a combination of all three actually havent been in that area all year since the dams removal ,made a mess of the fishing,but would be interested in whats going on

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:10pm - Nov 6,13 
Glass bottles, fishing line and leaders, and car tires make up most of the bottom material around Riverside.

That is no joke, I waded that section a lot years ago. But yes for the most park it is a Limestone bottom with rocks and some loose sediment. Not the most scenic section of river either. Only good news is they took out the folks that keep fish Dam. But I heard the bucket-brigade is planning a terrorist attack on Hoffman Tower to rebuild their prescious dam.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:51pm - Nov 8,13 
You are correct there is alot of man made "structure" in that area. Alot of sediment has built up, I think mostly from the dam removal. That area needs a flushing to push alot of sediment out but it's also amazing the amount of hard base that exists below the sediment. For years I thought the river in that area was muddy what with the shorelines made primarily of dirt. Once you get in the water tho you realize that there is a hard rock bottom for the most part. Again that sediment is misleading. I think that in years to come as the river cleanses, the sediment will wash and the true base will show thru and lead to a more promising environment for more desirable species. I feel that the carp population has already been reduced to some extent which isn't a bad thing. They like that silt and sediment. As far as the view...just squint a bit and it's not all that bad looking. I also feel that the removal has done a number on the quality of fishing in that area but ya gotta think about the big picture and how it will improve the fishery as a whole. It took years to get where it was with the dam there.....it will take a while for it to get where it should be with the dam gone. There are times I wish the dam wasn't removed because the fishing has taken a hit but it's a matter of adjusting to that and finding the new 'hot spots'. Just my .02

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:21pm - Dec 2,13 
Fishing holes come and go and ive had decent days on the DPR, but they where never consistant, i dont blame the bucket heads or those who dump thier whole weeks of garbage all the old fluids from thier auto mobiles into it either, but the sediment will never clear from the bottom, i actually witnessed a difference in the quality of fish before the removal no lesions or blotches on the fish, so the water was clearing up, still waiting to see the effects of the removal, the only effect i've seen so far is the die hard old guys are not out anymore,sharing stories and catching an occasinal 30" pike or muskie, a smallie or large mouth here and there with all the rain and fast water we shall soon see.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:19pm - Jan 31,14 
I've been out to check the area below the Hoffman tower recently. Aside from the tires, etc. the river is moving faster and clearer.
I also did not detect the smell that sticks to your nostrels. Unfortunately, I also did not detect any signs of life that belong in the water. The changes will take time for life to adapt. However, those man-made wing dams downstream might come into play with the faster water.

Board index » Rivers » Des Plaines
Jump to: