Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:53pm - Mar 3,08 
I am almost complete with the inside of the boat, to as far as I will go, all I have left is to put a transducer on the trolling motor, the kit costs $20, and switch units the one that came on the boat is a few years old and does not have speed or temp so I will utilize it up front. On to draining the tank and oil that was left in it for a couple years, carb kits and plugs, and give it a shot, hopeing in 2 weekends to reach this point, if all goes well I could be rigging it before the month is over. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:13pm - Mar 3,08 
Hoeh

Looks like your 2 weeks should put you right on time for the ice out and fish on. :D

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:27pm - Mar 3,08 
Yep the timing is great. The next chore will be trying to get the coho scales off the carpet :roll:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:46pm - Mar 10,08 
OK my friends I will start by telling you the 3/4 tank of gas that was left in her is now pumped out,and I mean pumped out. by hand with the primer ball and as I sit and type my forarms are still burning. 18 gallons out then I put a fresh gallon in pumped it out and did it agian just to make sure all the old crap clear, so 20 gallons total by hand (without a smoke break)dont try this at home!!!!!!pulled and replaced the plugs, now my question to the knowlagable chi-towners, I pulled the oil line from the the conection on the out side of the motor, DO I NEED TO FLUSH THIS UNIT OUT,how long does marine 2stroke oil last before breaking down is my question, from what I can tell it is still functioning from the way the plugs looked when I pulled them, If you recall when I first started I cranked the motor a bit to make sure it was'nt siezed, and the plugs seemed to have oil on them. This is the first motor I have owned without having to mix in the tank, so my questions may start to sound a little novice so bare with me I am now stepping onto new ground, thanks for all the input so far but now I need a little advise. I also have the carbs off but have not done the rebuild yet

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:52pm - Mar 10,08 
The 2 cycle oil should be fine. wsj has run some stuff of 10years old at least in the chain saw and weed whip machines. Should you want to clean the line use some of the old gas as a flusher. Then (assuming you have a oil resevior) fill with new and let the fishing begin.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59pm - Mar 10,08 
thanks WSJ I was thinking it woud be fine doing what you said, there is a resevior, and 3/4 full I might add, where would I dispose of 20gallons of bad gas is my next problem, by the way went to the ship chanel and casted the discharges for browns once so far and did pretty good

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Mar 10,08 
Hoeh
Depending on long the oil sat around there may be some seperation.

Can you take a dowl rod and touch the bottom of the oil tank? If you can scrape the bottom a little and lift out the dowl and look for sludge type material. No sludge you should be good to go.

Frank can probably tell you how to test the oil system and maybe what to do with the gas.

I would plan on adding a seperate fuel filter to catch any crap from the tank before it plugs up your carb rebuild.

Replacement filters are cheap compared to time off the water.
Run a tank or two and change the filter and let the old one dry out and cut it open to see if your getting any crap from the tank.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:25pm - Mar 10,08 
How old is the gas? Put a gallon or two per tankful in your truck? With gas prices I wouldn't dump it unless it was totally useless.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:37pm - Mar 10,08 
HOEH wrote:
OK my friends I will start by telling you the 3/4 tank of gas that was left in her is now pumped out,and I mean pumped out. by hand with the primer ball and as I sit and type my forarms are still burning. 18 gallons out then I put a fresh gallon in pumped it out and did it agian just to make sure all the old crap clear, so 20 gallons total by hand (without a smoke break)dont try this at home!!!!

Why did you keep squeezing the bulb? If the line was below the tank level it will flow by itself once you pump it a couple times to get it going.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:13pm - Mar 10,08 
Quote:
How old is the gas? Put a gallon or two per tankful in your truck?

Before you do that I would get a price for injectors and or cleaning.

Not worth it to me.
Probably more varnish than octane.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:04pm - Mar 11,08 
the gas was more yellow in color than clear so it was not even a thought for the truck but the lawn mower did come to mind, musky, I cut the line before cranking it over when I first picked up the boat so it would not pump into the motor, MikeF as much as I like to save $$$$ I think I will change the oil just to be safe, and the filter is now in the plans, I have to change the line any way so thanks for the suggestion.I am going to switch boats some time this week and put the old one in the garage and the new one in the driveway, I picked up a nice cover for it this weekend at cabela's , and dont tell my old lady but I bought a garmin hand held nautical GPS also, mums the word on that one for now :lol:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=169[url][/url]

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Mar 12,08 
Quote:
as I like to save $$$$ I think I will change the oil just to be safe,

Probably the best way to go.
Mechanical things like fresh lube.
Sound like we will see you out there soon.

Lots of ice at the south end this year. :cry:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Mar 17,08 
WITH THE WEATHER THE WAY IT WAS THIS WEEKEND AND THE COMING STORMS (sorry about the caps) I decided not to pull her out just yet, got the transducer on the trolling motor and mounted the unit to the bow, wired and mounted the other unit to the dash,with the had held GPS the older unit will have to do for now, also the marine radio needed to be mounted so I got that over with. I still need to pick up an antena for it but what the hell I did it any way, also changed the lower unit lube, got the carbs back together and installed.only the fuel line and oil line left to do before I can turn her over :red

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24pm - Mar 17,08 
Saturday will be here might quick, and those coho are NOT going to wait ya know. Hurry up will you.... :rofl

Sure can't wait to hear ya on the radio, "wsj we got our limit and are going ashore".......makes all the hard work worthwhile. :wink: while riding in comfort.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20pm - Mar 17,08 
I would love to be out on her by the weekend,but did'nt rigg her up with any trolling gear yet,I have to make her sea worthy before I start rigging, so I am jumping on WORRIOR's boat this weekend and will shoot for the following one, I also gave a promise I would help out meetpierre get his boat out of storage and get it ready

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:05pm - Mar 20,08 
not much progress since my last post, I got it out of the garage today and moved the other boat in, as I took the cover off my little guy, I had a little time to sit and think about all the fish, people that were on board, and all the great times this old girl gave me, and never left me stranded on the water in 4 years of hard service, to think the guy was going to cut the boat up and sell the trailor. Made me think that all the hard work I did on that boat paid off ten-fold, I am hoping that the trend continues on this one. so with a heavy heart it is sad to say she will be sold next weekend,I can only hope the love affiar I had with her continues on with the young guy who it will belong to( his first boat)as well!!!! :(

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:19pm - Mar 20,08 
Memories will live on.......as does the new ones created in the new craft. Shed a tear, wave goodbye then kiss the old boat goodby, kiss the new boat hello and welcome her into your fishing family. :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:31pm - Mar 22,08 
I finished all I had planned to do to the motor before I gave it a shot, and the hose was frozen so I brought in the house to thaw, I put a fresh battery in and about an hour, the hose thawed put the ears on her and hoped for the best, gave the new ball a couple pumps and said a little please god turned the key and she fired in a flash of the key, it ran a little rough for a minute burped out some carbon and smoothed out, I ran it for about 5 minutes and shut her down then put the air intake cover and the engine cover on, turned the key and agian in a flash of the key she ran like a champ smooth at all rpm's I ran at. I will find a ramp to put her in as soon as possible to give it a run under load. All is good so far. YES!!!!!! WE GOT BOAT!!!!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04pm - Mar 22,08 
Add some fuel additive to the gas tank to clean out the carbon. I like SeaFoam.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09pm - Mar 22,08 
Those coho had better watch out :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: