Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:24pm - Jun 16,20 
Tried Fox for the very first time at one of the dams and caught 3 shorties. Two came on a squarebill and 1 on white twistertail jig. Also threw a dropshot w/nightcrawler and left it in the middle of the river but no taker. I lost that squarebill as well as 3-4 twistertail jigs to rocky bottom which was frustrating. Any suggestion on how to fish this river? Had no idea what I was doing so I kept casting to the middle, let it float down then retrieve diagonally. Caught all 3 near the shore where all the snags were. Just a catch/release guy so I was pretty much open to catching anything except for panfish. Speaking of pan fish, it was strange to see none.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:29pm - Jun 16,20 
The Fox can be unforgiving on both gear and body. I started wearing heavy duty Dewalt knee pads when wading there after falling on a rock for the second time. Depending on where you're fishing, it's a jungle of sunken timber, rocks, rebar, discarded bicycles, and anything else you can think of. I think my record is seven lost crankbaits in one outing. I use heavier gear, 30 - 40lb braid. I often use floating lures as sometimes you can simply stop reeling and the lure with back up and float off the snag. Floating Rapalas or shad raps, square bills, top waters, spinnerbaits, or snag resistant plastics, as well as drifting Gulp minnows under a small bobber are my primary fishing methods there. Wading is preferable to shore fishing. Get directly upstream or downstream of your target and use the current to move your lure into position near cover or to get action on the lure. Cross casting is my least favorite option.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23pm - Jun 16,20 
Wow what great info from a river master! Thank you jmdog!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:10am - Jun 18,20 
Been fishing the Yorkville area for many years- never seen the fishing so bad. It's gone down hill every year since they changed the dam. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or just a coincidence. However, for sure, I see the river floods much faster, an inch of rain in Elgin and Yorkville comes up a foot. And the water is always dirty. All summer. Never clears up. Late fall into winter is the only time you get clear water, and I think it kills the smallmouth and walleye fishing. Also likely, that the river is no longer stocked with walleye. Used to catch 20 an outing- now- lucky to catch 1 all summer. My old go-to spots are dead. Even very few catfish. Anybody else see the same thing? Is it better further north?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01am - Jun 18,20 
I was talking to a gentleman who was catfishing who also complained about the water level/clarity and how terrible fishing has been. He said he's been fishing Fox for a long time especially in Carpentersville and Elgin.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:42am - Jun 22,20 
I have fished montgomery to silver springs for years.The last few the fishing has definitely changed for the worse.Like said above it's been hard to find clear water but it does seem like we have had a ton of rain back to back .Fir me the walleye and smallmouth fishing has gone down hill .They are still here to be caught just seems numbers aren't where they were 5 years ago.I love the jigs and mepps spinner baits.At times atop water will crush the smallies.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: