Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29pm - Jul 3,11 
I was just junk fishing in my backyard(salt creek) and the usaul species caught is yellow or black bullheads,nothing much bigger than a pound at best, but today this guy was hungry
It weighed 9.14lb and is the biggest fish I have ever landed from the shore, I have never targeted carp but I sure didnt mind fighting this one, it made some runs that were insane and was caught in this overhanging tree when my friend netted it. nightcrawler on a 3way rig.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:14pm - Jul 3,11 
Years ago I went with a group from NANFA and used big minnow nets to see what species were in Salt Creek. There are much bigger brothers and sisters still in the creek.

Believe it or not there are bass and crappies also. Go ahead and ask me but I will not tell.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:32am - Jul 8,11 
Once you get past the sewer smell, it's a nice little creek to fish with lots of species. Just to bad it can't be cleaned up and it could be an awsome fishery.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:46am - Jul 15,11 
That is a nice surprise!

I stopped by Salt Creek over in Addison yestreday for a few minutes just screwing around and got into some INSANE SUNFISH FIGHTS! Think I landed about 13 or 14 Sunfish and Bluegills.. one little Bass.

Salt Creek has a lot of really nice streches, riffles and such. I dont know if I would write it off. It just needs to be worked a bit.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23pm - Jul 15,11 
Check that tree out. If I was a betting man, I would bet it's a Mulberry tree. Carp are notorious for hanging out under them and eating mulberries that fall in the water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:44pm - Jul 15,11 
steve- Thats nice to see those "fresh'er" water fish in the creek.

I have been fishing for these carp alot in the last week and cant seem to break the 10lb mark, does anyone have a recomondation on the presentation? I am currently using a carolina-type setup with a heavy egg because of current, I have used threeway rigs with success also but both are bottom rigs, seems like the carp are hitting the surface pretty hard and I am wondering if there is a top bite anyone is familiar with, thanks -Tom

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:09pm - Jul 16,11 
2 things

Hair rigs and chum baits which consists of corn and some sort of pre packagex mix. Use the special weights.

Both can be found at wacker baits in broadview. My biggest so far on that is 13 lbs. Had one bigger but fell off the hook. That was at the I and m canal in feb. My biggest on the fly has been around 6-7lbs. Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:14pm - Jul 16,11 
Oh and mulberries also for topwater, just put one on a hook and sit under a mulberry tree and hang on. Just have to find the mulberry locations around the rivers. Crawdads work also. By the way on the salt creek topic, I have caught alot of suckers where the creek runs into the dpr and one nice smallie but that was years ago. Lately it has been chubs, bluegill, and a few bullhead. By the grau mill I have caught tiny lrg mouths and one weird looking fish on the top of the dam, it looked like goldfish but brown with the head of a carp and hit super hard on a clouser minnow, anyone know what that could have been?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:28pm - Feb 23,19 
Maybe that fish was an F1 carp?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:17pm - Feb 25,19 
There are carp in that creek you could saddle and ride. There are many other species that have shown up over the years that I have fished it in the lower, Cook county section. From shovel nose sturgeon to bullheads with rather wide bite marks. Remember, upstream has a large water that has musky and walleye. The state stocked smallmouth that took quite well until flooding brought largemouth from McDonalds over stocked lakes into the habitat. Won’t find many SM bass but lots of LMs now. Like any stream, a small percentage of water has most fish. I target carp and they like strawberry Jumex with strawberry jello mixed with Wheaties on a self tied hair rig. Use stout hooks and expect break offs.
Waxworm53

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:07pm - Feb 27,19 
I have fish,boated from lake street to I 88 that section has white bass,northern,walleye, etc the bottom is mostly gravel and sand muck/mud near shoreline in slower stretches. Ive also found 15ft+ holes 1 near cricket creek fp, another just south of rr tracks by quarry. This area has multiple trails that take you near or next to the creek which helps. Great looking creek its just the dang smell that stopped me from fishing it........great fishery tho.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12pm - Feb 27,19 
Also
be very careful walking the shoreline. Tons of animal holes/dens littering the shoreline. Breaking ankle/leg very easy. Tons of beaver tearing trees up there surprised fp has done somthing many log jams

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47pm - Feb 27,19 
From Bullheads to muskie,just a matter of where you are fishing it.
X2 on the mulberries,You find an overhanging tree on the creek or other river ,carp will be close by-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20pm - Feb 28,19 
Make sure you can identify poison ivy. All three types occur, vine, short bush and ground cover. Some of the vines will have leaves the size of dinner plates! Leaves of 3, leave it be. Ground cover will have woody stem. As for hair rig, use light piano wire, .01 diameter, wrapped around a long nose pliers. Keep it tight and wrap it 4 or 5 times. Try to keep it around 3/8” diameter when done. Find the wire at a hobby shop. Cut your new spring from the wire to about 1/2” long. Take some leader material of your choice and snell a turned up eye size 6 or 8 quality circle hook leaving about 2 inches of tag line. Tie the spring as close to hook as possible using your favorite knot. Mine end up about 3/8” from the bend of the hook. Wad your bait of choice on the spring keeping it about the size of a nickle. I have found bigger is not better. Chum the water near your bait with same size bait balls. The bigguns are vary wary and will split with any motion. Just sit and wait quietly and you may see their wake as they smell the bait. Current and channel edges near deeper water are what I look for. Wacker Bait has moved out of Broadview but still have good stuff online or at their new store. Good luck and be patient!
Waxworm53

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: