Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:35am - Apr 3,19 
I am new to fishing, started mid summer last year. I like pond fishing, but fell in love with river bank fishing late in the fall. I got some waders and wading boots, and plan on wading this year, but am completely clueless on where to start. I have bank fished the Fox, but have been told by a lot of people the DuPage is much better river for wading. I know it's almost like asking an angler to tell you his honey hole, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, but would anyone have where a beginner would wade? I'm not looking for any secret spots, just somewhere where I could get on some smallies, and even pan fish, I don't care the species. Thanks!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:38am - Apr 3,19 
The Fox is a great river for wading and you are very close to some of it. South Elgin has some great Walleye fishing to go along with the great Smallie fishing. I've seen some giant Catfish caught right in front of the dam, as well as an occasional Musky. Between the State street bridge and the dam is a popular place to fish.

There's some excellent Smallie fishing south of the dam in Geneva as well.

I've never waded the Dupage, but reading guys like JMdog's reports on here makes me wanna try it.

Good luck and have fun!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:16am - Apr 3,19 
Thank you, I may just wet my waders for the first time on that stretch of the fox!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:25pm - Apr 3,19 
Use this, it may save your life. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/il/nwis/rt

A green dot usually means it's good to wade but remember that these levels are seasonal so green in the spring might be higher and faster than the dog days of summer. Also when the rivers get low (orange and red) you'll be able to really do some exploring

Find some public access on any river, check the gauge closest to where you plan to wade and check it out. Move slowly, don't lift your feet too high and don't get too close to dams. You'll quickly figure it out.

"long days and pleasant nights"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Apr 3,19 
I appreciate that!!! Thank you!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:44pm - Apr 4,19 
I wade South Elgin and Geneva quite a bit once the water gets safe. It's a rock bottom with hidden holes so take your time and watch your step. I've fished pretty close to the dams (below the dams) in the summer when the water is low and you can see where you're going - it's definitely too dangerous when the water is running high.

Below the South Elgin dam it's wadable for quite a ways South. There are a couple of deep spots immediately past (south) the State Street bridge and the water is deeper towards the East bank than the west so watch yourself - the water can go from knee deep to waist deep in just a few steps.

The water moves pretty good in that area so look for the eddys and current breaks to be holding fish. If your fishing a sinking or diving lure, expect to get hung up on the rocks a bit.

I'm generally fly fishing for carp in that area but I've also caught smallies, walleye & catfish. Someone I know picked up a nice muskie walking a swim bait along the wall by the police station too.

In Geneva, I'll fish from the dam south to around the islands. There's some really nice holes and big current breaks in that area. I've caught the same mix of fish there as well.

A couple of years ago a photographer from the Daily Herald even took my picture for the paper in Geneva. This was Labor Day weekend so that gives you a pretty good example of the water depth - this was just north of the Rt 38 bridge

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:01pm - Apr 5,19 
Thank you! I appreciate all the help guys!!! It's gonna be a good year!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:24pm - Apr 6,19 
The Dupage is a great river. Some gorgeous fish can be found in it. Like the above posts already said, JMdog is the most frequent Dupage poster. Great info and some great photo's in every post he shares! I fish the Joliet/Plainfield area throughout the summer. If you ever venture down this way, shoot me a PM and I can give you some spots to start at.

Like others have said, take it slow and do your first wades on days where the water level is at minimum flowing at normal gauge height and flow. I'd also pick a day with clear water so you can get a hang on where it drops/watch for holes.

Good luck! Hope to see some good posts!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:20am - Apr 8,19 
Thank you!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:37pm - Apr 11,19 
The Dupage is a great river to learn wading. Very little deep water where you could get yourself into trouble and deeper water there is usually has a slower, manageable current. I always point a new wader to the Dupe before the Fox. The Fox definitely has more hazards, from deeper holes to big, underwater rocks, to sporadic rebar. Start simple with grubs on 3" jigs and floating Rapalas or shad raps and you'll be on your way. Watch the gauges Kev-mo posted and learn what high water looks like vs. low water in the stretch you frequent. That way you can learn what is a comfortable wading level for you as well as where fish will be hanging in different flows. Plenty of parks line the banks of the east and west branches and all of them are within walking distance of fish. Easy parking. Walk right up to the bank and find an easy entry point. Then wade around and look for any water with 3' depths or more with cover. Bound to be fish there somewhere. 90% of my bites come casting directly upstream of cover and reeling past it, or directly downstream of cover and slowly reeling against the current. The rest is easy. Set your camera up ahead of time so it's ready to go as soon as you land the fish and post a report to let us know how you did!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:27am - Apr 12,19 
My biggest piece of advice for you is to make sure that you always have your belt on(outside of waders) so if you do find a deep hole or trip you will keep most of the water from filling up you waders.
I remember the first couple times going to the fox without one, another fisherman had told me about the belt as I was completely new to the game and once I thought about it yeah ....doesn't sound fun to have your waders fill and get sucked to the bottom.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:31am - Apr 12,19 
Thank you guys!

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: