Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21pm - Sep 13,11 
If you missed the article in the May issue, catch an upcoming episode of In-Fisherman TV where Doug Stange punishes big bluegills, using my spoon technique for deep water gills.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/09/08/spoon-time-gills/?fb_ref=.Tm8fq5FJN1c.like&fb_source=other_oneline

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 10:20pm - Sep 13,11 
Thanks Bill. Once I read the article, I realized it's a horizontal technique. I guess I just assumed you were fishing the spoons vertical. Good selection and price on Swedish Pimples at Cabela's. Most other shops won't have any until ice season. I picked up a few to try in the pits.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23pm - Sep 13,11 
You Da Man Bill, Congrats again on your recognation.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:50pm - Sep 13,11 
Very cool Bill. Must be a great feeling to be an In-Fishermen recognized innovator!
Congrats!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:31am - Sep 14,11 
Very good choice on the tipping, used the smelt color for some homemade spinner rigs and it worked very well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:17am - Sep 14,11 
Great article Bill and even better technique for pulling giant panfish out of local waters. When we going fishing!!
GLGF
Fin

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28am - Sep 14,11 
Great job Bill. To have a guy like Doug Stange say "fishing-life-changing event" about a technique you pioneered just about says it all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30pm - Sep 14,11 
A sincere thank you to all! :respect ...I am overwhelmed by the virtual catapult that was created by sharing this technique with the world. :shock :thanks

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:48pm - Sep 15,11 
Congrats again. Will be out Sunday to do it all over again.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19pm - Sep 15,11 
Woot me and Denny are going on a dream trip with Bill Monday can't wait wooooohooo!! : :thanks Bill can't wait to give it a try and learn some tricks and pick out some gillage goons.
GLGF
Fin

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:23am - Sep 16,11 
I grew up faithfully reading(and watching) In-Fisherman. To have a fishing legend like Mr. Stange give you props is something very special. Kudos to you Bill for thinking outside of the box and thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:53pm - Sep 20,11 
Went out with Bill and Denny to Lake Geneva and caught several meals of filets. Thanks Bill for taking the time to get us out on the lake and learn the spoon fed method for hanging big gils. Bill even provided some sweet spoons to get us in the game much appreciated. Bill put us all to shame with the spoon gils but showed us the way for future success with the Mod way for big gils. He caught Perch Gils and some nice Small Mouth and had a blast with Denny D. Good times and thanks for taking us out Bill it was giltastic. I put away four meal and ate a few fresh ones with the wife which she loved and asked when i was going out for more LOL.
GLGF
Fin

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:18pm - Sep 20,11 
billy and gary i had a great day and now im convinced that horizontal small spoon presentation the muskymod way will catch any species of fish in geneva! the day did not start out so as we spent the first couple of hours finding fish in any kind of abundance that were active . of course bill the "master' of the system took blue gills here and there
but i could not connect with the bite 35ft.down 40 or so feet away from the boat. i was determined to stay with the system because i could see the possibilities when billy tied into the first of a bruiser small mouth bass
we covered some water and bill asked me if i had any suggestions on spots so we went to a deep north shore flat i knew of. we were in the fish as soon as we got in the water we doubled up on smallies. the bite was a bit trickey till bill gave me a lighter spoon with a smaller hook on and the next few hours passed in a flash of fun and fish.
we caught several species of fish here including smallies,perch,punkin seeds, lgm bass,and big gils it was great then
remember this system is 4 llb test maximum and after several blistering runs
word of warning though this is a tough system to master and dont feel bad if you not catching fish right away i went almost 3 hrs and only felt 2 bites before i got the motion of the ocean going and if i didnt have bill sitting right next to me coaching me and answering my questions i might have been a couple more hours till i got the hang of it. anyway this was a learning day cant wait to get out there and try it again on some other body of water, heidke maybe ?
my thanks to billy and gary for a great day
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:30pm - Sep 20,11 
Congrats, must feel pretty good to be recognized while people are reading In-Fisherman.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:01am - Sep 21,11 
It certainly was an interesting morning......My "go to" deep water waypoints were less than stellar during the unstable weather, but we still managed to scratch up a few. The fish were present, but simply not cooperating.
This is a much easier system to understand when friendlier conditions exist. Learning this methodology becomes easy earlier in the year when fish are positioned shallower, when a feel for the presentation becomes second nature.

Deep water probing takes a little getting used to. We took Denny's advice on a new area a few miles up the lake....we then downsized from 1/5 to 1/8 oz Blue Fox RFS, and chucked spoons at a much more active bunch of fish.
Soon after, I added a few new waypoints to my gps system after realizing that Den's input had seemingly caused all the stars to align.........It was a good time fellas, we'll do it again......this pattern typically holds until mid Oct.

Mod

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20am - Dec 10,11 
I just received word from Doug Stange.....This segment will air 4 times on the Sportsman's channel during the first week of January 2012 :hopping

We also went over some of the recent spooning observations of 2011, as this methodology will be added to In-Fishermans Panfish Guide for 2012. :torch

BOOYAH!!!!!!

http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/09/08/spoon-time-gills/?fb_ref=.Tm8fq5FJN1c.like&fb_source=other_oneline

Mod

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:48am - Dec 10,11 
I'd like to try that technique on Lake Michigan for smallies, perch and whatever else bites.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:51am - Dec 10,11 
Congrats!
Regrettably, I am just now seeing this as the local waters are skimming over. It will top my list of new things to try next season.
I am already a fan of the Gulp Alive products, and have an arsenal of small trout spoons already rigged with a single hook. It never occurred to me to try them combined in the system you describe. I have had good luck with a Smiths "Pure Abalone" trout spoon, and the Gulp minnows with pearl bellies. Can't wait to try your system with them together!
Thank you for sharing!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:05am - Dec 23,11 
In-Fisherman spoon segment airs Thurs the 29th at 7am, and Sat the 31st at 7pm on the sportsman's channel.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:29am - Dec 23,11 
Are those dates in December or January?

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: