Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - Mar 16,18 
I’ve got two fish skulls and a deer skull that need cleaning. I’ve done a little looking into this on the internet already, I’m just looking for additional tips or tricks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:00am - Mar 16,18 
Don't let horns sit in boiling water. Use an old bristle brush to remove flesh after boiling. Easy does it around the nose bones. Get some 40 percent hydrogen peroxide online to bleach when your done.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33am - Mar 16,18 
I've done two deer skulls and a power washer really helps after you have let them simmer for a while.

I honestly won't do another one, there is a website that I found where a gentleman uses beetles and does 10,000 or so deer skulls a year. You send it off, get it back 3 or 4 months later perfectly clean. Costs $60 plus shipping and handling for the deer skulls. I've had him do 4 or 5 in the past 8 or so years, just easier for me. I can find the website if it interests you, he does good work with the beetles.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:22pm - Mar 16,18 
BigB wrote:
I've done two deer skulls and a power washer really helps after you have let them simmer for a while.

I honestly won't do another one, there is a website that I found where a gentleman uses beetles and does 10,000 or so deer skulls a year. You send it off, get it back 3 or 4 months later perfectly clean. Costs $60 plus shipping and handling for the deer skulls. I've had him do 4 or 5 in the past 8 or so years, just easier for me. I can find the website if it interests you, he does good work with the beetles.

I'd like the website too.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:32pm - Mar 16,18 
Ringo used to work with the Beatles, he was pretty good too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:50pm - Mar 16,18 
Thanks for the info fellas,! ! I think I’m gonna have to wait a month or so until the temperatures rise at night so the mix won’t freeze.. but I’m definitely gonna use a hydrogen peroxide mix. You think freezing temperatures would mess up the process ? But yeah I’d definitely like to check out that website, BigB. Anything that deals with bugs n skulls always grabs my attention. :rotflmao

Last edited by FishermanFletch on 10:26am - Mar 17,18, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34am - Mar 17,18 
minnow wrote:
Ringo used to work with the Beatles, he was pretty good too.

:D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30am - Mar 18,18 
Guys, I have to apologize, it looks like the guy I sent them to (www.Skullmounter.com) is no longer in business. Its a shame, it was pretty easy and a painless process. It does appear there are other sites where you can send your skull to and they will use the beetles for them. I just liked that this guy was in Wisconsin. Beetles always seem to do a better job than I ever could.

Glad I knew this ahead of time in case I want another European mount.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:19am - Mar 18,18 
You can always start your own colony.

https://www.carolina.com/catalog/detail ... 20Products

http://bonesandbugs.com/dermestid-beetles-faqs.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13pm - Mar 18,18 
I kinda forgot that one of my childhood friends grows those beetle larvae and sells them to pet shops. I guess if I get another skull I’ll definitely have to maybe try it. The skull I have now is 90 % clean already. It’s a nice 7 point set of antlers from a dead buck I just found along the Wisc. River. I just need to more or less sanitize the skull because it was pretty rotten when I first found it. That’s why I’m thinking the hydrogen peroxide mix will work for just a light cleaning on the deer skull, and nicely for the fish skulls as well.
I watched an episode of Modern Marvels once upon a time, and they covered this company ..https://www.skullsunlimited.com/. They got a lot of good stuff.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:48pm - May 9,18 
Here’s the results! I’m happy. I’m definitely gonna have to invest in a display case of some kind.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15am - May 10,18 
If you want to get those skulls perfectly white its actually quite easy now that you've got the tough part done. Go to a hair care store and pick up some hydrogen peroxide and soak some old rags in it. Wrap it around the skulls so it covers everything but the antlers. Then wrap it in plastic wrap and and let it sit for a couple days. They will be bright white and take away any brown tint to the skull. The ones I did boil I did that and they turns out great.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:18am - May 10,18 
Order the 40% hydrogen peroxide online. They won't sell it to you in a beauty care shop without a license. 20% doesn't work as well. JMHO

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:29am - May 12,18 
BigB- That’s a great little trick I’ll have to remember. I think I’m gonna leave it the way it is though, because it’s really brittle now that I soaked it. It accidentally fell from the ceiling last summer so it’s got some weak spots that I don’t want to make any worse.

Bulldawg- I agree, DEFINITELY the 40‰ or higher. I used some of the 20‰ that my ex had left under my sink, and it hardly had any effect at all. The 20‰ actually went so slowly that the temperatures dropped when I was soaking the skulls, and the whole project became a frozen block of dead animal skulls on my porch. Which then ultimately had to be lugged around, and covered when I found out that I was scheduled for an apartment showing. :rotflmao

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:02am - May 12,18 
Looks good Fletch! I really like the Gar skull...very cool find. Those will look great on display just as they are.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42pm - May 13,18 
My brother in law buries them in the fall and digs them up about now. Gives it a quick clean and ready to go. Have any of you tried this with any luck?

Another cool thing he is doing is staining some of the skulls which give them a unquie look

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09am - May 15,18 
I’ve never tried that, but that’s how my buddy’s Dad would clean skulls when we were kids. It was always fun digging them up as kids.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:22pm - May 16,18 
My buddy buries them in the spring or late fall (if he can). Likes to do it near a big ant hill but not sure if that helps. Takes about a year to get everything off them and you still may have to peel a bit. He hits them with a pressure washer afterwards as well. Only bad thing is that they are still pretty dirty. He doesn't really display them so they stay that way in his barn. Only issues I've seen is it takes a long time to get done, you have to wrap the antlers or have them buried as well or the critters may get to them (seen that happen a few times) and they aren't super white.

Many ways you can do these skulls, everyone has one the works best!

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: