Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:41pm - Oct 26,18 
I remember it was mid November last year when the Perch started moving in big numbers into 87th and Navy Pier. But even after looking through last years posts, I can't find anything about what water temp we should be looking for. When do they typically move into the shallows and slips? Did pretty well last year, looking forward to another great season. Also: as we all know, last year was CRAZY for numbers early on. I would think that the perch from last year have grown a bit since last November. Any reason to NOT believe that this year will be just as good, but slightly bigger size? Thanks for the info!

Dubzee

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27am - Oct 27,18 
First day for me has and always will be thanksgiving and Black Friday morning.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:12am - Oct 27,18 
I've posted before what I learned from Mike from mik-Muffin that you need 50 degrees or below for a week or so before the big movement happens.You might find some scattered schools now with some searching.To get the temps google up LM water temp and then go to the NWS site.I'm going to try it mid-week and I'll post what I find or don't.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41am - Oct 29,18 
Is 87th street slip still closed? If so, think they'll give me any guff if I paddle my way in there with my yak and just drift along the walls? Is it still trespassing if I'm in the water?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:40am - Oct 29,18 
I was at 87th on Saturday and the general area to cal park. I didn’t have any luck for the perch or trout/salmon. Saw some boats moving around. But don’t think they were catching. The slip is ok to fish at the mouth and I saw some guys at the end. But if you enter a fenced off area it’s trespassing. The had two bouys across the slip about half way down. Water temp by the rocks I was fishing was 51. Fished minnows and night crawlers. Casted twister tails and spinners.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33am - Oct 29,18 
So as long as I stay in the water, I should be ok, I'm thinking? Just wasn't sure if the water in the slip itself is also technically private property. Have no ideas on the laws with that one. The buoy aren't a problem for me since I don't have a prop!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Oct 29,18 
I wouldn't go past the buoy it's probably there for a reason.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:02am - Oct 30,18 
Skunky, I've fished those slips countless times in my kayak. Last year was the first time they had the "buoys" across the slip. they actually more closely resemble a skimming sponge for cleaning oil spills. I plan on fishing them this year as well, "buoys" or not. If for some crazy reason they want to right you a ticket, take it to court. I know there are at least 2 cases on the books that affirm the public's right to fish any part of lake Michigan. Specifically one refers to the lagoon near Northwestern university where a judge ruled the university couldn't keep people from fishing from the campus because the lagoon connects to L.M. and therefore is for public use. There is no barge traffic in the north slip off 85th so there isnt even a reason to keep guys out. GOOD LUCK! I will hopefully see you there sometime.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23am - Oct 30,18 
FISHY SCENT -- Right on! Thanks for the solid intel brother! It should be crazy in that slip this year if us paddlers are the only ones who can fish past that buoy line. I'll definitely be out there in a few weeks...camo green NuCanoe flint. Think I have the only one in Chicago, so give a shout if you see me.

This will be my first season perching from a yak, but I imagine there's not much too it? Minnows on the bottom and drift until you find the big ones? Or maybe a jigging spoon tipped with meat?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35am - Oct 30,18 
I thought part of the reason the slip was closed last year, apart from the fisherman trashing it, was that someone had dumped a bunch of chemical barrels in it that were leaking... hence the oil/chemical booms laying in the water to absorb before going out into the lake. I know there are a lot of other chemicals and contaminants in the lake, but fishing a site that is actively being managed for a spill would not be highest on my list of places to target.

In regard to what works, if the fish are there, pretty much anything you drop down will work.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:19pm - Oct 30,18 
Well, that is news to me. Thanks for sharing...re-evaluating perching spots now. Ha.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:46pm - Nov 4,18 
Skunky, If you're fishing over there make sure you be careful. The water will be cold and there is a ton of barge traffic on most days. Don't expect the fishing boats to slow down around you either. It's a decent paddle to the slip too, the river is usually better any way. And if there's a S or SE wind like 10mph or more forget it.

Also I remember about the spill or whatever that happened, they were kicking people out right and left but I was fishing other waters mostly at that time. Whatever spilled has most likely distributed through the water by now. I would hope if there were any harmful substance present there would at least be a sign seeing that is a well known fishing spot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:55am - Nov 5,18 
perch where up in the river by crawlies this last week end found some cleaner water over in the slip across from crawlies was best

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:34am - Nov 5,18 
Fishy Scent wrote:
Skunky, If you're fishing over there make sure you be careful. The water will be cold and there is a ton of barge traffic on most days. Don't expect the fishing boats to slow down around you either. It's a decent paddle to the slip too, the river is usually better any way. And if there's a S or SE wind like 10mph or more forget it.

Also I remember about the spill or whatever that happened, they were kicking people out right and left but I was fishing other waters mostly at that time. Whatever spilled has most likely distributed through the water by now. I would hope if there were any harmful substance present there would at least be a sign seeing that is a well known fishing spot.

I don't remember exactly what signs are there/what they say, but they put up new signs/signposts when they blocked it all off at the end of last winter. The signs warn people about eating the fish in the slip, no fishing, no tresspassing, etc... so they did put up signs warning people.

Last time I was there before they started kicking people out, you could see little bubbles coming up occasionally that when they got to the surface and popped, they had some kind of chemical in them... they left a little mini-slick on top of the water... similar to like what oil/gas would leave. That was probably in December, who knows how long it had been there and leaking before anyone checked it out.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if they are allowing people back in there, but from what I've heard, it's probably shut down for good.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01am - Nov 5,18 
Thanks for the sanity check, guys. This is why I love this community. I've never fished the river for perch, so not exactly sure where the best launch spot is for my yak and where to target?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:28am - Nov 11,18 
Got a few by 92nd bridge Friday. Just enough for a Hugh Meal for myself.....lol

Board index » Lake Michigan » Perch
Jump to: