Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:31pm - Aug 31,21 
The carp in my local pond have been pretty tight lipped all summer. I've only caught a few in about 6 or 7 outings.

Finally managed a nice one the other evening on a size 14 beadhead nymph / 5wt rod. Out of all the carp flies I've tried, the really small beadhead ones seem to be the only thing they'll hit consistently. I have caught them on a couple other flies, but the very small, very simple ones seem to work the best.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:49pm - Aug 31,21 
Carp on a fly rod now that would be a lot of fun

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:08pm - Sep 2,21 
luckydawg13 wrote:
Carp on a fly rod now that would be a lot of fun

It is very challenging and super addictive!!!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:05pm - Sep 6,21 
Tell me everything!
A bead head prince or what? How do you fish the bead head? Let it lie still or do you retrieve slowly? Do you use a sinking tip line?
You are a pro at catching carp and I have only had one suck up (and leave with) one of my black Boogle Bug poppers. On my 3 wt, I had no chance of even turning the brute.
Exciting!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:52pm - Sep 10,21 
chuckt wrote:
Tell me everything!
A bead head prince or what? How do you fish the bead head? Let it lie still or do you retrieve slowly? Do you use a sinking tip line?

Thanks, but I'm definitely no pro!!

The nymphs the carp in this pond like are similar to the bead head ones in this picture. They seem to like the smaller ones better (they must match something in that pond), so I'll tie them on a size 14 nymph hook. If the beads you have are lighter, you can add a little lead wire, just make sure it's as close to the bead as possible so it stands up. Tie in a little copper wire or oval tinsel. Then I just tie on some maribu, making a tail about the hook length (tie that down at the bend to secure), then wrap the maribu forward and secure it behind the bead. Counter wrap the copper wire and whip finish. Very simple and quick. I have tried a lot of the bigger, buggier "carp" flies, but from this pond I've only caught them on tiny nymphs like this, Pheasant Tail, Prince, Hare's Ear - all bead heads. I caught one the other night on a size 12 emerger pattern too.

The pond I'm fishing isn't very deep and in these dry times, some parts of the pond are shallow enough that their backs are out of the water. It's also fairly clear, which makes it even more of a challenge. Because of this, I'll go with a longer tippet on my 9', 5 wt - maybe 3 feet of 3x or 4x, with a 7' furled leader and general purpose weight forward floating line.

EVERYTHING spooks them - your shadow, your rod, the fly line over the water, the fly line hitting the water, the fly line to close to them, the fly hitting the water too hard, making too much noise on shore, etc. It's all about sight fishing. Forget about any carp that are cruising, jumping or doing anything except eating. You can tell if their eating from their bubbles, mud clouds, or if you're lucky, they'll be tailing (head down tail up). Those are the ones who are really actively feeding and less likely to be distracted.

The trick is to cast beyond them (without spooking them) and "drag and drop" the presentation. The target area is about the size of a dinner plate right in front of them, so cast beyond them, let the fly sink, then slowly drag it and drop it on that dinner plate. They feed directly in front of them so they generally won't turn for something like a Bass will.

This is just how I fish for them in the ponds. When I fish for the in the Fox River, that's a whole different process!!! I know it seems like I catch so many of them, but really, it's like 1 out of every other outing. I've actually caught 1 the last 3 times I went out, so that's unusual. I went about 6 times before that without catching anything.

The only thing I'd be worried about with a 3 wt would be being outgunned. I use a 6x leader / tippet on my 3 wt and I don't think it would hold up to a 6-8 lb carp.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:25am - Sep 11,21 
For those interested in doing this - there another excellent reference: "Carp on the Fly" (1997) by Befus, Reynolds and Berryman.
To be sure, the post above is also filled with great advice, especially about 'cruisers'. Look for tails - those are actively feeding fish. And the part about spooking fish cannot be overstated!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30pm - Sep 29,21 
Thanks for the good information, Smitty. I was on the west branch, yesterday, and only catching between small and tiny bass (tried my go to black Boogle bug popper, and a wooly bugger), But I spotted 3 carp just lying near the shore line but thought it would be futile to try since they would just move away. Using your knowledge, I am going to take the 5wt and try using bead heads on the west branch. A while ago, i did have a carp suck in one of my poppers and, on the 3wt, it was just hold on until he snapped the tippett (well, better then my rod) and it was good by. There are some very big carp in that river.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: