Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:20am - Jun 20,20 
My son in Cincinnati has offered to buy an AR-15 kit and assemble it for me. Right now you cannot find a complete AR-15 at the local gun shop.
We could meet somewhere in Indiana where he'd give me the rifle.
I'm just not sure if this is legal or what steps are necessary to be in compliance with the law.

I'm new to shooting so please forgive me if this is a silly question.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:00am - Jun 20,20 
To be in compliance with the draconian Peoples Republic of Illinois state laws, you need to find a local FFL to do the transfer for you. Go to GunBroker.com to do so. Depending on where you live you may not be "in compliance" with local ordinances even possessing a black rifle. Some kit guns are not "legal" dependent on small characteristics of the parts on them. Again a local FFL can help you sort pitfalls.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16pm - Jun 20,20 
Windy City wrote:
To be in compliance with the draconian Peoples Republic of Illinois state laws, you need to find a local FFL to do the transfer for you. Go to GunBroker.com to do so. Depending on where you live you may not be "in compliance" with local ordinances even possessing a black rifle. Some kit guns are not "legal" dependent on small characteristics of the parts on them. Again a local FFL can help you sort pitfalls.

This is all wrong. On every level. Transfers for person-to-person sales simply need an approval number from the ISP via confirmation of a FOID.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/ ... nsfer.aspx

Also, local ordinances are inapplicable. State law trumps any local law, basically.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/preempti ... -illinois/

Probably a good idea to read and understand the law before offering advice.

Wtf is a "black rifle"??? Lol.

Last edited by pezdek1 on 11:26pm - Jun 20,20, edited 4 times in total.
 Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:18pm - Jun 20,20 
btyreprich wrote:
My son in Cincinnati has offered to buy an AR-15 kit and assemble it for me. Right now you cannot find a complete AR-15 at the local gun shop.
We could meet somewhere in Indiana where he'd give me the rifle.
I'm just not sure if this is legal or what steps are necessary to be in compliance with the law.

I'm new to shooting so please forgive me if this is a silly question.

Easy. If you're a FOID carrier, simply create a bill of sale or transfer, and verify via the link I posted above that you are a FOID licensed person, and receive the approval number. Include that approval number on the bill of sale or transfer. Your son must retain that proof for 10 years. Nothing more to it.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:23am - Jun 21,20 
pezdek1 wrote:

Also, local ordinances are inapplicable. State law trumps any local law, basically.

I would suggest you take your own advice. The all knowing link you provided does not concure with you comments.
The amended FOID Card Act also deems the regulation of the possession or ownership of assault weapons an exclusive power of the state, and provides that any ordinance that regulates the possession or ownership of assault weapons in a manner inconsistent with the amended FOID Card Act is invalid.4 For purposes of this provision, “assault weapons” are defined as firearms designated by either make or model or by a test or list of cosmetic features that cumulatively would place the firearm into a definition of “assault weapon” under the ordinance.5 The Act allows ordinances regulating the possession or ownership of assault weapons that were adopted on, before, or within 10 days after July 9, 2013 to remain in force.
But I guess you knew this.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:26am - Jun 21,20 
pezdek1 wrote:

That would be for the folks like me and others that hunt.....you know black powder, Not sure why that is funny.

And why do you posts have to be so caustic, no need to try and call people out even if you don't agree with someone. Friendly conversation still gets the point across and you can have a human conversation on whether or not the information is accurate.

:noway

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58am - Jun 21,20 
Marc, actually a "black rifle" is a term used to typically describe AR-15 style guns, that doesn't feed the political fire by using the hot word of assault rifle.
The armchair internet quarterback was correct in the possibility of transferring the firearm by calling in a back round check for person to person (non FFL) transfer, within the state of Illinois.
What he is incorrect about is this step could be averted due to the family relationship expressed by the OP.
Where things get "gray" is the across state line transfer.
Some of us have "investment caliber" gun collections and like to cover every base, no matter how gray law verbiage is, thus use a FFL to do 100% of our transfers.
I annually "gift" firearms to family and always do so via an FFL.
Some "own a few guns" and know everything.
I know how far back my involvement goes in the shooting sports, in general gun culture, and how much time and money I have dedicated in the past to acquire gun rights in Illinois and keep them.

I also assume I never saw a certain poster at any of the hearings I attended downstate, in Chicago, or any of my financial contributions were matched (even to the 1/100th degree) to acquire the rights gained for all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:02am - Jun 21,20 
Windy City wrote:
Marc, actually a "black rifle" is a term used to typically describe AR-15 style guns, that doesn't feed the political fire by using the hot word of assault rifle.

Interesting and thanks for the clarity. I thought you were talking about something like my Thompson Center 50 cal.

Never heard the term used that way.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:36am - Jun 21,20 
Windy City wrote:
pezdek1 wrote:

I would suggest you take your own advice. The all knowing link you provided does not concure with you comments.
The amended FOID Card Act also deems the regulation of the possession or ownership of assault weapons an exclusive power of the state, and provides that any ordinance that regulates the possession or ownership of assault weapons in a manner inconsistent with the amended FOID Card Act is invalid.4 For purposes of this provision, “assault weapons” are defined as firearms designated by either make or model or by a test or list of cosmetic features that cumulatively would place the firearm into a definition of “assault weapon” under the ordinance.5 The Act allows ordinances regulating the possession or ownership of assault weapons that were adopted on, before, or within 10 days after July 9, 2013 to remain in force.
But I guess you knew this.

Yes. I did. Which is why I said "basically".

The locality has to have had their regulation in place prior to 2013 in order to be valid. The state regulations trump all local after that...

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41am - Jun 21,20 
Marc wrote:
pezdek1 wrote:

That would be for the folks like me and others that hunt.....you know black powder, Not sure why that is funny.

And why do you posts have to be so caustic, no need to try and call people out even if you don't agree with someone. Friendly conversation still gets the point across and you can have a human conversation on whether or not the information is accurate.

:noway

I'll leave the first part alone since it has nothing to do with black powder.

And my post wasn't caustic. There was no scathing sarcasm involved in my post. It's not on me to tell you how to interpret my text, and the tone of it, on a screen. If you took it that way, it's on you. It was corrective. It wasn't even me calling someone out. It was simply correcting false information, and pointing out that someone should read and understand the law before providing said false information. The only thing I was being an ass about was him using the term black rifle. That was actually sarcastic.

Last edited by pezdek1 on 10:14am - Jun 21,20, edited 2 times in total.
 Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49am - Jun 21,20 
Windy City wrote:
The armchair internet quarterback was correct in the possibility of transferring the firearm by calling in a back round check for person to person (non FFL) transfer, within the state of Illinois.
What he is incorrect about is this step could be averted due to the family relationship expressed by the OP.
Where things get "gray" is the across state line transfer.
Some of us have "investment caliber" gun collections and like to cover every base, no matter how gray law verbiage is, thus use a FFL to do 100% of our transfers.
I annually "gift" firearms to family and always do so via an FFL.
Some "own a few guns" and know everything.
I know how far back my involvement goes in the shooting sports, in general gun culture, and how much time and money I have dedicated in the past to acquire gun rights in Illinois and keep them.

I also assume I never saw a certain poster at any of the hearings I attended downstate, in Chicago, or any of my financial contributions were matched (even to the 1/100th degree) to acquire the rights gained for all.

I'm aware of what a black rifle is. I was being an ass about you using the term, since it's really not used all that much. As evidenced by Marc, a regular hunter, and firearm owner, not even knowing what it was, or hearing the term used that way. For someone bragging about how much they've done for gun owners and their lengthy history as a gun owner, the fact you're even mentioning the term assault rifle is weird. People involved in the gun world don't use that term, already, because they're not "assault rifles". They're AR platform rifles. The term assault rifle is used by stupid media to drum up anti-gun rhetoric. It stems from a lack of their understanding of what AR is... when someone says AR rifle or AR-15.

I won't even get into the whole bragging about your ownership and what you've done to acquire gun rights for Illinois. It's irrelevant to the conversation. The point is, you offered someone incorrect information. I corrected that, so you got all bent out of shape, and decided to throw out personal attacks now.

You have no idea who I am or what I've done. There's no reason for personal attacks just because I corrected false information you provided.

And I wasn't incorrect about anything. I never mentioned anything about family relationships, so how could I be "incorrect" about it?

I'll agree with you on the gray area of across state line transfers. It's different, in that I believe his son would have to send it to an FFL which will complete the background check and transfer. Although as an Illinois FOID holder, he could go to Indiana and buy a long gun off the shelf from an FFL, also. My original post was incorrect in that regard, as I hadn't really put two and two together, and it was late, and I was tired. I was under the impression his son would be an Illinois FOID holder for some reason.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25pm - Jun 21,20 
Check with your local gunshop.They can help answer your needs.Out here,Mega sports and RKA have helped me with questions like this.
As for your new upcoming fun-spend the extra money and put a good scope on it.A Bi Pod Also is a good investment.
The Ar 15 is a lot of fun in all calibers.
Wish the best to you and your son in building one,the AR is a lot of fun!

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 09:59am - Jun 22,20 
Last week Mega Sports was filled with AR-15s. I got a AR-10. All the other local shops were completely sold out but Mega Sports had easy over 100 AR-15s.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: