Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:55am - Oct 30,19 
Have decided I don't have enough hobbies yet, lol, so I want to get into hunting because it is something my Dad loved to do, but I never really got into while he was alive. After losing him this year and hearing my Uncles and his friends talk about him hunting and how much he enjoyed it a few weekends ago when we spread some of his ashes at his favorite place to hunt, I realized I would actually like to sort of follow in his steps. But his favorite spot is six hours south of me near Harrisburg IL, and I am looking for more local areas to hunt.

Where does everyone near Elgin like to hunt? I'm not new to shooting my bow, so I'd definitely prefer archery over gun/muzzleloader. I see that White Pines allows it as well as Chain O'Lakes State Park. Anywhere near hear have pre set stands/blinds?

Just trying to get a clue as to what I'm doing and will need to prepare for next year. Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21am - Oct 30,19 
Ill DNR website has plenty of info on public hunting areas. Here's the DNR's report on harvest figures at the public areas for 2018-2019.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Do ... t18.19.pdf

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - Oct 30,19 
Thank you!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:32pm - Oct 30,19 
Check your pm

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:25am - Oct 31,19 
colddriver wrote:
Check your pm

Thank you!

Chitown-Angler

Location: Buffalo Grove, 21' Cruiser's Inc. Bonanza, Mercruiser 165 "Blue Dog II"

Post Posted: 05:53pm - Oct 31,19 
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think it's so great you want to start hunting!! What have you done so far to begin this journey? Do you have anyone helping mentor you?

Regarding places, I used to bow hunt at Shabbona State Park because its not that far for a day trip. Since there's a quota for each area, it seemed kinda iffy to get in on the weekends unless there very early, but weekdays there was no problem at all having spots open for my favorite areas.

I also like the public grounds in JoDaviess, which isn't that bad of a ride. The folks at the Country Inn will have breakfast ready early if you request the night before. Most of the time, anyhow. Witkowsky Wildlife Area out that way has lots of really great places to setup for archery.

For gun hunting in IL, I always prefered handgun hunting over slug gun. Well, until I got my 20 gauge Savage 220.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:27pm - Nov 3,19 
Kankakee State park has been stocked well in past years. Got pheasant and a bunny last time out. Limit of 2 pheasant the time before that
pm for more if into going. Carl

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:20am - Nov 4,19 
deerhuntre wrote:
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think it's so great you want to start hunting!! What have you done so far to begin this journey? Do you have anyone helping mentor you?

Regarding places, I used to bow hunt at Shabbona State Park because its not that far for a day trip. Since there's a quota for each area, it seemed kinda iffy to get in on the weekends unless there very early, but weekdays there was no problem at all having spots open for my favorite areas.

I also like the public grounds in Jo Daviess, which isn't that bad of a ride. The folks at the Country Inn will have breakfast ready early if you request the night before. Most of the time, anyhow. Witkowsky Wildlife Area out that way has lots of really great places to setup for archery.

For gun hunting in IL, I always preferred handgun hunting over slug gun. Well, until I got my 20 gauge Savage 220.

Thank you!

Well, I have gone "hunting" a couple of times in the past, but I use quotation marks because I've basically gone camping, with a bow. Lol. My Dad used to hunt in the Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL, and I plan on making an annual trip down there, but I also know that the more time spent, the better my chances, so that's why I am so interested in finding someplace I could leave the house for early, and be able to do pretty regularly during deer season. I've got a bow and a crossbow. I'll likely try blind hunting for starters, but definitely know that getting up in the trees is important, so I will have to get over that fear of heights, and probably start with a climbing stand. I'm a bigger guy, so probably looking at a Summit Goliath.

All of the info is very helpful, so thank you!

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: