Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:39am - Aug 13,15 
I'm hoping to get out into the goose fields quite a bit this year -- hoping to bag a number of ducks, too, but that's another story for another day.

I decided, in part because I'm just now building a decoy collection and in part because I wanted to do something to burn off some pre-season energy, that I'd try my hand at making some homemade silos.

The paint job has had some trial and error. I've been using krylon flat camo paint for the blacks, browns and tans, rust-oleum flat primer for gray and white. I drew this freehand - basically drew a body, and then sleeping, resting, feeding and sentry heads (though I found flipping the feed head over worked better for the sleeping head). I cut the first batch out of white corrugated plastic, though I think I'll buy black for the next dozen to save on black paint. I might reduce the size by 10 percent, but maybe not. I got 12 on the first sheet, but I tilted some in a way that has the holes/flutes running diagonally which will require some bending (right now, using small steel rods for stakes).

Anyhow, I'll post more as the experiment goes on. Just wondering what folks thought. BTW, I have a dozen Higdon shells and hope to pick up a dozen Bigfoot FB too - figure if I add a dozen a year I'll build the stockpile without breaking the bank (I also have a MoJo motorized mallard - read in more than a few places that ducks will decoy right into a goose spread with one or two of those guys).

If anyone has thoughts, wants to make fun of this, or thinks it will scare even a blind Canada, have at it. I never really was very good in art class... :rotflmao

-Will Rogers

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:14pm - Aug 13,15 
billyf65 wrote:
If anyone has thoughts, wants to make fun of this, or thinks it will scare even a blind Canada, have at it. I never really was very good in art class...

billyf35 -
I think it looks great!
We are always our own worst critics, that's for sure... Also, you will find that each and everyone that you make and paint will get better and better.
Thanks for sharing you project!

Steven
(Smokin' Fish)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:36pm - Aug 13,15 
Nice job! Keep em big don't reduce the size.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Aug 13,15 
Looks good

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: