Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:13pm - Nov 19,14 
Can anyone help me out with tips on hunting Canadian geese? This is my first season doing it on my own and I'm having Only so-so luck...I'm Not looking for a spot to hunt or any secrets, just some general tips.

I have about 2 dozen decoys and hunt a cornfield in lake co.

What's the best way to position/set up for a small spread of decoys?

Is less calling better than more? Still trying to figure this out...

Do their trends change once it's gotten cold like it is now? Will they fly when it's snowing? I haven't seen many flying in the morning anymore and today was the first morning i haven't even seen one...

Is early season better than late? Will they be more likely to go to a field with food when the ponds and small lakes are frozen or will they primarily look for ponds with open water or even be at lake mich?

Between work and kids I only get to hunt a couple hours a week in either the morning or afternoon so I really want to maximize my potential for success...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:36pm - Nov 19,14 
First, I'd be sure to hide the blinds as best as possible. That is number one. Second, I'd try to get a cross wind where the geese will be landing into the wind quartering to your left shoulder (if you're right handed). I think flags are very useful tools, flag until you get them to about 100yds, and then stop once you've got their attention and they start coming to the decoys. Calling will be determined by the birds and the day. Also, you could invite someone with a larger spread to come and hunt with you. You can set 5-6doz decoys pretty quickly in a field. Put your best decoys close to where you want them to land. Goose shells fill a spread nicely especially once there is snow on the ground.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:41pm - Nov 19,14 
pick the high spot in the field, and lay you spread with the wind at your back, dont have too many heads on the deekes up, clump them in 2's or three's in a half moon in front of you leaving the center of the spread open with one or two deekes facing into the wind and a couple behind you. use a greeting ,feeding, and a hut in that order.dont highball at anything closer than 400 yrds away. once they turn towards you hut and feed call them in. if they call you call back. i could write a thousand different things about goose hunting and not cover it all! get out there and learn from your mistakes. if you got a ton of snow up there and your field is buried in snow the chances of you connecting are slim. if its super cold and food is covered birds will move on. see if you can find a winter wheat or mowed hay(clover) field to hunt when its real cold the geese love that green the colder it gets. hope this little bit helps.
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:23pm - Nov 19,14 
It would take a duck to tell us how to cook a goose!!!!!Howdy Denny :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20am - Nov 20,14 
I have about 2 dozen decoys and hunt a cornfield in lake co. YOUR IN A VERY GOOD COUNTY! So a good start. Somedays 2 dozen is enough. Some days 6 is better. a lot of days if it's migrators up high you need 100+. Shells can add volume and especially in the snow the sleepers work well

What's the best way to position/set up for a small spread of decoys? LOTS OF VIEWS ON THIS. V shape, U Shape. I prefer a X shape but with 2 dozen deeks I would just have them spread out in a relaxed formation with some feeders bunched up where you want them to land. More feeders in a safe zone with open area. Head up decoys down wind like they just arrived.

Is less calling better than more? Still trying to figure this out... FIGURE IT OUT BY HOW THEY RESPOND Watch the birds. If you cluck and they cluck back and bow there wings then cluck more. If you cluck and they flap harder be quiet. If they're coming let them come. If it's windy can call louder and the winds covers the mistakes. Some days lessis more just a few clucks works best. Somedays super aggressive calling gets you a limit as you talk them into landing.

Do their trends change once it's gotten cold like it is now? Will they fly when it's snowing? I haven't seen many flying in the morning anymore and today was the first morning i haven't even seen one... WHEN IT's COLD they sit longer and fly later so afternoons are best. Late mornings will work as well. In the snow sometimes they feed earlier. If it's going to snow the next day they fly hard to get food. Find the roost and see when they get up. If you only saw 1 goose or none the roost is frozen and they left or they're sitting on the water and will fly later on today.

Is early season better than late? Will they be more likely to go to a field with food when the ponds and small lakes are frozen or will they primarily look for ponds with open water or even be at lake mich?.... They need open water and food. If the roost they were on is froze they're gone. If there is open water and they can get food they'll stay. Find the roost or roosts.

Between work and kids I only get to hunt a couple hours a week in either the morning or afternoon so I really want to maximize my potential for success...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:21pm - Nov 20,14 
Right now all it takes is finding open water near a corn field. Most of the smaller lakes/ponds have froze up. The deeper watering holes are where they will be...

Hunted with 4 guys this morning near geneva and had our limit of geese by 9am. Stuck around for another hour for ducks and ended up with 7 total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:29pm - Nov 20,14 
Thanks for the tips guys...definitely gonna try in the afternoon and will be putting my blind in a different spot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49pm - Dec 5,14 
Calling it all depends. I would say 90% of the time I stick with clucks, moans, and a feeding murmur here and there. As mentioned earlier if they cluck back its a sure sign to keep it up. I would say the flag is usually the best tool. Able to pull geese in from a lot farther than a call.

Its all about finding a field with open water withing a few miles. I have a field a few miles from a municipal water plant, and it holds geese till the season close.

Late season I like to downsize the spread and try to not use layout blinds because the cacklers are usually pretty well educated and they always seem to flare. I would suggest beavertail blankets, or use natural divets in the field to break you up. Fence lines also work, but its hard to get migrators to land by fence lines. Hope you continue to have success.

The most important part, of goose hunting, is keeping the land owner happy so you always have a place to hunt!!!

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: