Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:54pm - Nov 6,19 
Got an invite to hunt a cut field for the first time tomorrow. Scouted it today and hopes are high for the am hunt.With never killing a goose or preparing any in the past, I’m looking for some recipes to try out. Anyone have any suggestions?

AJ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:44pm - Nov 6,19 
Marinade them in teriyaki sauce, then cook them rare when you done toss them in the garbage and order a pizza.
Or cut them up in bit size pieces put a thin slice of jalapeno, wrap in bacon, dip in batter and deep fry.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:07am - Nov 7,19 
Had a few good seasons on them and truly enjoyed learning how to call. I was going to try to "corn" them like corned beef we eat on St. Patrick day. I have not done it yet but always thought the meat would benefit from that type of preparation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Nov 7,19 
goose nuggets, fried. That's about all I could ever handle out of those greasers. I like the idea of adding bacon and jalapeno.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:32am - Nov 7,19 
Get yourself a cheapo table top grinder and grind the meat into burger. Pan fry with some seasoning (taco, chili, etc) and use the ground burger in place of beef burger. I started using the meat for casseroles and chili. It works well as long as there is enough moisture, the goose meat is so lean that its very easy to over cook, but it can be very good mixed with rice and veggies, or cous cous and veggies as a kind of casserole.

I've also just chunked up the meat and thrown it into a slow cooker in place of beef with a good beef stew recipe. Turns out great.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:57pm - Nov 7,19 
Not Jerky, but some of the best sticks in the state are processed over at The Wurst Kitchen in Aurora. It my go to. Otherwise, shoot one in the head, pluck, and marinade it in salt brine over night, cook just over an hour on a Rostissere, its more popular than the Turkey on Thanksgiving. Not worth plucking if there too beat up.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:45pm - Nov 7,19 
One more thing, place the bird on its back, so the blood pools there. Also, look for one with worn down black tail feathers, which indicates a juvie bird that had not molted. All the ones with clean and straight black tail feathers molted in August, and indicative of an adult bird, 1.5 to 25 years...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28pm - Nov 7,19 
Many years ago,one of my Dad's friends would bring over 2-3 geese,feathers and all around christmas.We appreciated but hoped he would stop,only 1 made the oven,did not go well.
That was then,this is Now-
Check on the internet:
Goose Cacciatore
Braised goose with olives and winter vegetables
Goose Bratwurst
Spanish rice and goose casserole
These are few I plan to try,I pulled these from my new recipe book-After The Hunt,By Chef John D. Folse.
P.M. if you can not find on the internet,I can send back a text of pic of any of these recipes-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:24am - Nov 8,19 
X2 on The Wurst Kitchen. I’ve been bringing deer there for years for sticks. I’m not sure how the goose meat would be but it may be worth a try.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:35am - Nov 8,19 
Thanks for all the ideas guys! I’m definitely gonna have to try these out....... when I kill a goose. The cut field we hunted yesterday morning was a total bust.

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: