Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:18pm - Oct 26,20 
I would like to plan an ice fishing trip {or two} this winter. I need to find a place with decent fishing that can be found reasonable sled drag from the landing. I'm in my 50's now and don't have an ATV, so I am limited by how far I can drag my gear. My boys and my friends don't want to go, so I'll be alone.

I was thinking maybe someplace on the Mississippi backwaters, or a smallish lake on a chain somewhere in central to northern WI.

I'm a casual ice fisherman and just use UL or L jigging rods and maybe a deadstick. I like decent action, so I usually just panfish, but a chance for a bonus gamefish would be nice.

I don't need fancy accommodations. If the place has a bar/restaurant on the premises or a short drive away, all the better. My schedule should be pretty flexible so a mid week trip might work out to avoid any weekend crowds.

Shoot me a PM if desired. Thanks.

-Carl Sagan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:10am - Oct 27,20 
Lake Onalaska. Easy to fish, great panfish, easy walk. Many small motels and cottages near by. Basically the Mississippi River. I will be there first ice as always. If you go mid winter, you can drive on the ice.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:55am - Oct 27,20 
2nd mississippi back waters. my personel best perch just down river from genoa dam 15 3/4. that was a late open water trip with local guide dick neefe. super nice guy and never fails to produce. the bluegill and crappie are also bragging size. im pretty sure he guides on the ice too. havent been up there in a couple of years, big river inn in genoa is where we would stay, modest but clean, have a fish cleaning house. genoa is about 40 minutes from lake onalaska if you wnat to switch it up. about 20 minutes from prairie du chien.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:12am - Oct 27,20 
I actually have been thinking about Onalaska. I'll look into lodging, access points and parking.

-Carl Sagan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:37am - Oct 27,20 
I am hoping to fish the Atomic Fish Derby on Lake Onalaska.
Looks like a great time and a chance to learn how and where to fish-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:04pm - Oct 27,20 
tgoman10,
Check your pm's.

-Carl Sagan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:53pm - Oct 30,20 
Nothing in pm’s.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:53am - Oct 31,20 
Tgoman10, I show it still in my "outbox", weird...

I'll resend it

I resent it and now I show the 2 messages in my outbox.

-Carl Sagan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Nov 1,20 
tgoman10 wrote:
Lake Onalaska. Easy to fish, great panfish, easy walk. Many small motels and cottages near by. Basically the Mississippi River. I will be there first ice as always. If you go mid winter, you can drive on the ice.

Is there any current on this lake? Any sketchiness for early ice?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01am - Nov 2,20 
There is a narrow channel on the opposite side of the boat ramp (Brice Prairie where most people enter) but unless you're driving your vehicle on the ice it's not a big concern.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:33am - Nov 2,20 
thewatsonator wrote:
tgoman10 wrote:

Is there any current on this lake? Any sketchiness for early ice?

Never fished it, but I imagine as with any lake that is part of a river system, there will always be current, so it's best to be as careful as possible, IMO.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:55pm - Nov 4,20 
I have been looking at the Stoddard, Onalaska and French Island areas on Google maps for bait shops, access points, motels etc.
Then, I have been comparing those same areas using my Navionics app. I have the app set to display a white color for water over 10 feet deep.

Interesting stuff for sure.

-Carl Sagan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:12pm - Nov 4,20 
Only need wax worms. Available at all quick trips or waters edge. Stoddard only 2 spots. Look where the guys are. Mostly weeds with 2 open areas. 1 is perch 1 gils. Stay at Safe Landing and can get anywhere. Despot bay and Green Lake are also good spots. Stoddard you’re fishing shallow weeds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Nov 4,20 
tgoman10,

Good info.
Thanks.

-Carl Sagan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:13pm - Nov 27,20 
I live in the Lacrosse area by Lake Onalaska Red Pines in Brice Prairie area.Easy walk on the ice from the Boat launch by the restaurant and bait shop. The area right by the access point is where I fish for perch and bluegill.

http://www.redpinesbarandgrill.com/

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: