Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:25pm - Jan 11,19 
Does anybody know some resources for real-time ice thickness? I feel like I came across a website last year that had the thickness for different lakes in the Chicago area. With the turn in weather I'm curious how thick the ice will get on the northern/central Illinois/Indiana lakes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:41pm - Jan 12,19 
People post ice conditions on Lake-Link. However, it may not be 100% accurate or an ice report may not exist. Worth checking though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:43pm - Jan 12,19 
Unless you are a goose, lakes out south just locked up again. It will be awhile.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:27pm - Jan 12,19 
Went to neilsons today and the non current areas had 4" but the shore ice was iffy.Some spots were safe and some not and now with the snow cover it will be hard to tell.As for the fishing I never moved the whole morning fishing from 6:30 till 10:45 icing about 90 fish keeping 40 or so.Size wasn't great kept mostly 7s and maybe a dozen 8s.The water was stained so no sight fishing,chartreuse was the best color fished within a foot of the bottom.I used waxies but guys with pink wedgies were doing good too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:14am - Jan 13,19 
Ice should get much better by the end of this week esp after Sunday when temps will only be in high teens to 20s. Hermann's is supposed to hold a tourney Saturday, 1/19. Let's see if that is still on......

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Jan 13,19 
On their face book page they say they have tentative plans to move the derby from1/20 to 2/17.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:45pm - Jan 13,19 
Thanks...had the date wrong, it was 1/20, not 1/19. But check their Facebook page as noted above.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:10pm - Jan 14,19 
Anybody have a report out of Lake Geneva if it skimmed over or not.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Jan 15,19 
JeffC wrote:
Anybody have a report out of Lake Geneva if it skimmed over or not.

West end is still wide open, guessing they'll be walking on the East end this weekend but that's just my gut.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:12pm - Jan 16,19 
West Winds yesterday blew that ice out of there. The lake was open everywhere yesterday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41am - Jan 21,19 
Was out on Heritage Quarries(Lemont Quarries) Sunday from 9am-4pm. Consumer's was basically wide open. The rest all looked locked up pretty good. Didn't check the ice depth on them, though. We fished Great Lakes. Ice was 3-4 inches in the majority of places, but lots of "slush" areas that had snow on them that we had to avoid/walk around, as when we would spud it, it was super soft, with only about an inch of ice underneath it. Me and a buddy spudded our way around the entire lake yesterday, but with minimal fish results. Lots of marks but we just couldn't get them to bite, no matter what we tried(and we tried everything) Highlight of the day(in a bad way)... some moron who gives all of us icefisherman a bad name(and risks getting ice fishing shut down on lakes). Me and my friend are sitting in the shanty trying to entice a mob of marks up out of the weeds, when we peek out the windows, and see some clown who had just gotten on the lake barreling across the ice(straight across the lake), no spud, no safety spikes(that we could see), not a care in the world for the ice/conditions around him. Me and my friend look at each other and both say "wtf is he doing just walking across like that?" and before we even had a chance to yell out to him, he went plowing through a slushy snow area, and through the ice he went. He managed to catch himself around waist deep(but not completely submerged) and drag himself out. He promptly turned around and headed back to the car. Shitty for me and my friend to see... as we could have potentially watched a guy drown with very little we could do. The area he went through was about 10-12 feet deep. There would have been no way for us to get out of the shanty, and spud our way to him in time, and no way to just run to him, as the ice wasn't in good enough shape everywhere to allow for that, because of the risk of one of us also going through. We would have had to slowly spud our way to him while he drowned. He was about 100 yards away from us. There were some other guys closer to him, but I still don't know if they would have gotten to him quick enough, and safely, if he had gone all the way through. They checked on him, so we never bothered to leave the shanty.

Be careful out there with the early ice, guys. A spud and safety spikes are your best friends. Pay attention to what you're walking on. No one likes an icefishing tragedy. If whoever went through the ice on Great Lakes Quarry yesterday is reading this, use your !@#$ brain next time. These lakes were wide open 10 days ago... You got extremely lucky you didn't go all the way through.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:33pm - Jan 21,19 
Great advice pez saw the same thing at Neilsons a couple years ago 2 guys walking down the middle early season and right thru they went.Luckily it's only waist deep,they were really embarressed with the paramedics coming and their wives bringing dry clothes.Until it's safe I bring my throwable and 30 foot rope from my boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Jan 22,19 
retired trucker wrote:
Great advice pez saw the same thing at Neilsons a couple years ago 2 guys walking down the middle early season and right thru they went.Luckily it's only waist deep,they were really embarressed with the paramedics coming and their wives bringing dry clothes.Until it's safe I bring my throwable and 30 foot rope from my boat.
The throwable is a great thing to have. Early and late ice I wear a life preserver under a lighter than normal jacket. Great insulation even if you get wet and could be a life saver.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:40pm - Jan 24,19 
Any new reports from the south burbs?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:52pm - Jan 24,19 
Bronzebacker wrote:
Any new reports from the south burbs?

Haven't been out since Sunday. Will be out again this Sunday though.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:28pm - Jan 24,19 
Awesome. Good luck and be safe.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:40pm - Jan 24,19 
I checked Arrowhead last friday Bronze just stepping off the flagstones and pressed down into the water so I didn't even try drilling.Should be good once the cold snap is over.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: