Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35am - Mar 19,18 
:drink I have a very close friend that is looking to sell a 95 Artic cat 550 Cougar ...I have questions before I make this a summer project...what should I check first on it ?....what do I do before attempting to start it?....how hard are they to maintain ?...would be my first snowmobile and I'm not looking to sink a ton of money into something I'm only using to icefish with...it ran great for her....but she hasn't used it in 4-5 years...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Mar 19,18 
Fresh gas and let it rip.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50am - Mar 19,18 
:drink Any thing to lube or fluid change ??? It's a pull start

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:26pm - Mar 19,18 
I would say make sure there is no old gas in there then a small amount of gas with a high ratio of seafoam mixed in. Maybe some new plugs or clean up the old ones. You may want to premix the gas with oil as well since you don't know if the oil injection is working properly.

Make sure you have a drive belt on the clutches or you can over rev the motor. Also check the chaincase fluid (right side of the motor if you are sitting on the sled, just below the brake disk) before you start it and run the track.

It's best to have a stand to hold the back end of the sled up so you can rev it up good and clean out the funk. Then you can check out the brakes as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:47pm - Mar 19,18 
:drink I knew you guy's would be able to help me... thanks....all good suggestions...hope it works out because we need a back-up to the single quad plan we've been running...split the gear/weight and bingo back on top...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:48pm - Mar 20,18 
1995 snowmobile-contact Artic cat or dealer,make sure parts are available.
Spin the wheels that hold the track,should move freely.
The track-look for dry rot,major cracks or big chunks broken from the lugs.
Check the wear bars they still have good life.
Check all rubber boots and seals they are not dried out.
Inspect all fuel lines and hose's.
A compression test on the cylinders and look at the spark plugs tells a good story internally.
Snowmobile's are not hard to work on,like all machine's, be watchfull for rust,corrison,and knowing you can get parts or service as a back up-

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:09am - Mar 21,18 
Quote:
project snowmobile

MMmmm...
23 yrs

How hard can it be?
Sounds like just a matter of time and money.

Probably no more time and money than say, rebuilding a pontoon boat, eh. :shock

I say go for it. :twisted:

Full disclosure...I know absolutely nothing about snow mobiles other than I heard they don't work well on dry ground or soft water. :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:16pm - Mar 21,18 
A snowmobile is an awesome machine-they are raced on sand,dirt,across open water.There are plenty of youtube vidieo's to show this.The trick is on how to ride one.
Currently own a 1991 Yamaha enticer 2,studded track and carbide tips on the skies,turns fine on clear ice.Crossed open creeks and broke thru on ice.Kept the throttle down,the front end up,a heartpounding and fun ride-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39am - Mar 23,18 
crappie professor I did the snowmobile rehab 3 years ago on a 72 John Deere 300 I payed $50.00 and put $250.00 in after market parts runs great . working a 76 John Deere JDX 600 with electric start should be ready by next ice season. there a lot of info on line about working old sleds. I would post a photo but still haven't mastered that yet Jeff

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00pm - Sep 11,18 
Hey there Brudder! I have a 1987 arctic cat and t sat for 12 years before I got it I put pugs wires and gun rack n the front pulled and pulled wouldn't start. Added clear new fule line and three pulls later it was a rippin and snortin. Paid 175 for it and 50 in parts. Then got fancy and bought a 1999 arctic cat deep snow machine 600 cc. ran great for 4 seasons then fuel pump (electric went out) $700 and it kept stalling Add another 100 for clear lines and it ran great. Now to 5 seasons ago up north in Mil lacs. Broke the frame 5 rollers and busted the clutch. It basically totaled it. got down and got most of it fixed and took it to arctic cat dealer another $700 deposit for a clutch job. They stripped the threads on my center bot of the crank that holds the clutch in and gave it back to me with a $500 check. Now iam stuck with a great machine I have $4000 total invested in that wont run. and the clutch is stuck on the crank. So watch and test run what you buy it could cost you or it may or may not work out so well. Tight lines if ya need help just call. you got my number

Da-Roc. I can make miracles happen most times. I aint given up on my cat yet. This old dog has a few tricks up his sleve yet!!!

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: