Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Apr 8,19 
Fished the Fox walleye run in De Pere saturday with Captian Andy Mack. http://macksportfishing.com/ That is a great trophy walleye fishery and a cool thing to experience. The eyes all come up river from Green Bay and the dam at De Pere is the stopping point. Limit is only one fish over 28" but we release everything we catch given the time of year. I saw several fish in the 30" class caught and released. Our biggest on the boat that day was a 28" but the smallest was 18".

I have never fished the detroit River but from what I hear it is not as chaotic as the Detroit. pressure was heavy but deffinatly managable.

Spent 2 nights at the Ennis Inn, https://ennisinnandpub.com/ right next to Voyageur Park and 2 blocks from the boat launch. Interesting place as it was an old mill and the river runs under it. Food was awesome too!

I have never saw the American White Pelicans in Wisconsin before, could not believe how many were hanging arount to have walleye for lunch. Capt. told me they swallow a 14" whole without hesitation. All the white "dots" in the first pic below are pellicans.

If anyone is looking for a slighly used Lund (21 ProV with a 300 Merc and kicker) Andy is selling his as his new boat is on its way. He takes very good care of his stuff and it comes fully rigged.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:02am - Apr 11,19 
Looks like a blast. Bucket list material for sure.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:30am - Apr 11,19 
Quote:
I have never fished the detroit River but from what I hear it is not as chaotic as the Detroit.

I assume you mean Detroit is not as chaotic as the fox?

I was up in De Pere a few weeks back on the fox, there was a tournament that weekend and 300+ boats. Complete insanity. Great fishery though, we must have missed the big females by a few weeks, our biggest was probably 23" mostly males on a 20+ fish day.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:28am - Apr 11,19 
thewatsonator wrote:
Quote:
I have never fished the detroit River but from what I hear it is not as chaotic as the Detroit.

I assume you mean Detroit is not as chaotic as the fox?

I was up in De Pere a few weeks back on the fox, there was a tournament that weekend and 300+ boats. Complete insanity. Great fishery though, we must have missed the big females by a few weeks, our biggest was probably 23" mostly males on a 20+ fish day.

No, the other way. Typically you can walk across the boats in Detroit, even during the week. There were actually 2 tournaments that weekend. Poor planning in my mind but I am not a fan of any tournament fishing as it is just a marketing ploy.

For anyone interested, Peshtigo is just turning on.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:27pm - Apr 12,19 
Hey Windy City,
Do you launch at Fox Point? Do you go right up to the damn and fish or are there fish throughout the river? What kind of presentation?

Sorry for so many questions but very interested and never fished there before, thanks

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers
2 High Seas quad rod trees
4 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:02am - Apr 13,19 
Yes, we launched at Fox Point. There is a second launch directly across the river on the west shore by the fair grounds that is equally large.

We fished 3 presentations although 100% of our eyes were landed with one. This was a 1/4 or 3/8 oz. Knuckleball jig head with a shiner, vertical jigged.

I caught a large whitefish on the large plastics we slow rolled across the bottom with the same jig heads.

The last presentation was throwing crankbaits in the fast water closer to the dam.

The fishing is tight so throwing cranks is reserved for areas less crowded or in the fast water. These consisted of rattle traps and Flicker shads, medium to large size.

All colors use were bright. Chartreuse, purple/white, firetiger, or any combination of such. I noticed a lot of people throwing what looked like a purple/white fire tiger pattern on cranks.

There is a power line that runs across the river to the Mill on the west side. DO NOT go past it, closer to the dam. I was told this was common knowledge but I didn't see any signs or whatnot stating it so I could see where someone first time there wouldn't know.

Boat control is important, a good trolling motor and someone who is good at operating it is a must.

Fishing for us was confined to the fast water just downstream of the powerline, where the water slacks some just downstream of that, and before, under, after the bridge to the North. I think this was route 172?

I think things are heading to the post spawn stage there now, but from the reports I have been getting, Peshtigo is on fire now! (no pun intended)

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:47am - Apr 13,19 
Quote:
Peshtigo is on fire now! (no pun intended)

:bigyuck

Most youngsters won't get that, but I did.

Tom

Twin Fins

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: