Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:10pm - Jun 2,21 
I've been out to Deep Quarry 4 times and Mallard once in the past two weeks. Fished in all different conditions, rainy, cold, hot, sunny, cloudy, with the crazy weather it seems every time is different. Senkos have been the ticket, fish are far and few in between, but the ones I have caught have been quality fish. I've averaged about 4 fish in 2-2.5 hours, and average weight is probably 2.5lbs, biggest being over 4lb. I grew up fishing these lakes, and both of them have made huge changes over the past 30 years. I would say cosmetically for the better, but not so much for the fishing. Not to mention the immense pressure they see. Deep Quarry was much more productive, but I only fished Mallard once and man was it crowded. If I was to go back, I think I'd try a drop shot. With the emergence of the weeds, Deep Quarry is getting tougher to fish, I've basically thrown it out as far as I can, and work it back until I hit the outside weed edge. The Preserves are always going to be tough to fish. Limited shore line, tons of pressure, and unfortunately people keeping fish illegally. That's just the nature of the beast around the Chicagoland area. There are good fish to be had, you just have to work for them. Clean up after yourself as both preserves had trash everywhere, and keep an eye out for ticks. West Branch is loaded with them. I play a game, if I'll catch more fish or find more ticks on me. Ticks have won every time. Be safe. Mops

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:45am - Jun 3,21 
The fishing pressure and bucket brigade have increased over the last year. I've pulled more cut line out of Turtlehead and Arrowhead in the last year than in the previous ten combined.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:52pm - Jun 3,21 
One of the many perks of living in the Chicagoland Area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34am - Jun 6,21 
Hey mops, I have also fished deep quarry and mallard for 30+years.
I grew up in carol stream and still living here.
Those are both my go to lakes as they are so close.
The quarry has seen the most change in my opinion,
All.the shore line work.they did/doing
Smallmouth now inhabit the lake along with zebra muscles
Water is the cleanest it's ever been, see down 20+ft.
At least two beavers now call the lake home.
Dupage river overflows into quarry now every time it rains and they blame the boaters for the zebra muscles...
Still waiting for a path all the way around d the lake also.
As far as the fishing, I never catch numbers at either one but do usually get a few good bass at the quarry.
Mallard is a totally different beast.....
I dont fish it in the summer,too weedy and too crowded but as soon as the ice comes game on!!!
I would rather fish mallard than the chain any time any day!!!
I usually have my son with me now, he is 2yrs old. If you ever see a dad and son with vexlair hats on that us lol.

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: