Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:43pm - Oct 16,18 
Venturing out this weekend with my brother to hit the root river for some salmon first time ever. Does anybody know about parking locations? What kind of bait should we use? Thanks in advance for any info

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:34am - Oct 17,18 
When I fished the root river I would use buggers or egg patterns and a shot rig on a three way swivel. Below is is the rig

Pink, orange, red and black were my colors. A red double egg was my favorite.

Bring different size ball clamp weights, the trick is to use just enough weight to barely tick the bottom. It's mostly rock so if you weight gets hung up you can normally just pull it free from your weight tag line. Problem is you leave your weight behind but it's better than losing the entire rig. The real trick is to use just the right amount of weight to keep your bait right off the bottom and I personally did best with a 12 to 16 inch leader to my bait.

Don't use the weights with the little wings on them, they will snag up more often. Short roll casts upstream, tight line to feel you weight ticking the bottom and hang on for a hookup. Be warned WI DNR spends a lot of time on the river, if you foul hook set the fish free.

The root can be packed, combat fishing so pack a little patience and it will make it more fun.

Good luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Oct 17,18 
I like that rig. My variation is I use a plain BB swivel, braid main line and I tie a palomar knot leaving the tag end long. 100% on the round non removable style split shot. My leader is a little longer than you suggested. Try also trout beads. Spawn bags as best I remember are sold in Wi. too. J-11's and J-13's catch their fair share. Tight lines!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Oct 17,18 
I was there Monday on my second to last day between jobs. Nothing going at Colonial Park, but an epic day for most (except me) at the dam. Saw at least 10 dark chinooks and a somewhat silver coho landed within 2 hours. All on fresh spawn sacs...which I have none of. Floated about 3 feet down and also bottom bouncing with just split shot and hook. Lots of people using fly rods to bottom bounce! There’s a public lot at both Colonial and Quarry parks, and also along the stretch of river near the steelhead facility. To access the dam, type River Run Family Restaurant into your GPS. Drive behind the restaurant and you’ll see a water pumping station right next to the river. Parking and river access is right there. You can also park there then walk across the bridge to fish the other bank. There’s a real nice run on that side from about 20 yards before the bridge, all the way through it. They also stack in the tail out after the bridge. Waters cold so layer up under your waders!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:37am - Oct 18,18 
When water is at normal levels and you have waders I wouldn't use the bottom rig described above. Just a leader with clam style split shots in sizes 5 or 6. If you get hung up just walk over and release the rig. Fish will come back in a minute or two (or less like I saw yesterday). You can fish a fly even without a fly rod when you don't have to cast far. My personal best producer on the root is a peach colored egg fly in sizes 6-8. Smaller the better.

Fish are being processed through the facility on Thursday 10/18/18 (per the facilities board) and yesterday I did not notice any fresh fish moving up. So I would concentrate efforts on facility and above. Particularly Colonial or dam as a secondary. If there is significant rain on Sat. Sunday I may consider island or Lincoln parks.
If you are shore bound or anyone going with kids, you can even fish a spawn sack on the bottom

Yesterday from colonial park. 36" 19lb female.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - Oct 18,18 
Nice hen! Any steelhead action going there?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Oct 18,18 
PM'ed you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:11pm - Oct 18,18 
PM sent

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:12pm - Oct 18,18 
:respect Thanks for all the info guys, I cant wait!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:42pm - Oct 18,18 
SalmonFin wrote:
Nice hen! Any steelhead action going there?

The board at facility said processed 9 steelhead upstream. Last week fishing at the dam many of those caught were silver fish and some I clearly saw were steelhead. I never saw real concentration or numbers in the fall although everyone talks about them. If you have had success targeting fall/winter run steelhead in root please share. Always looking to learn.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:50pm - Oct 18,18 
Fished afternoon in Estabrook in Milwaukee. Fresh fish were not moving up today (similar to root yesterday where I didn't see fresh fish). Found a nice run holding fresh fish went 0/1+ 1 snagged. Water clarity-pretty good.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: