Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - Sep 7,18 
I know there are plenty of you guys that carry. Does anyone know if it is legal to carry while fishing the harbors or along the lakefront? As much as I have looked, I have yet to figure out of it's legal or if I need to leave in the car.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:51am - Sep 7,18 
If the harbor is part of a City Park Carry is not allowed. Jackson Park, Montrose Park, etc.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:59am - Sep 7,18 
Dnr told me State law allows a firearm when in the process of fishing or traping, he went further to saw its written in such a way that it will trump the city's ban . Nonetheless he then asked if the legal fees would be worth it if caught since police will probably not know the law and the view point will be your in a park with a firearm

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:59am - Sep 7,18 
Not the best idea. Last saturday night I was out at diversey and some dummy fired his fire arm into the water twice. I honestly thought they were fireworks but within 15 min 8 to 10 squad cars were out their and they eventually found him. I had my shirt off bc that day was hot as balls but anyone they walked by had to lift up their shirt and they went through my tackle bag. Like also mentioned its park district property so you cannot carry even then. If your worried about trouble carry your fish filet knife, if you get hassled for having a blade bigger than your "palm" play the fishing excuse. I doubt you will see any trouble bc the only people who will fine you for that is the fish police but they wont be out their at night.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16pm - Sep 7,18 
My understanding of it is that because the lake front technically belongs to the state and not the city, we should be good. The problem with it is that the harbors are under the control of the park district leaving us in a gray area. Do to the fact that there has yet to be a test case, nobody really knows for sure. That's why I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on it. I guess I'll just have to keep leaving my gun in the car until we know for sure.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:35am - Sep 8,18 
It will be concealed sooo..... I would not worry about it?
Being concealed nobody should know you have it, those are my thoughts on the subject.
I would rather have it and if I ended up needing it face the consequences of having a Concealed firearm in a park. Saving my family or myself from potential death is worth it in my book!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:39pm - Sep 8,18 
I myself have been an Illinois conceal carry permit holder for a couple years. as far as carrying concealed in an area considered a park of a city, county or state municipality, you are allowed only if you are passing thru on a bike trail on a bike. If you stop for any reason and a cops sees that you are printing(concealing a firearm), you will be cited and carry provisions will be suspended until your case is litigated. if your situation is a felony, you lose them completely with whatever additional time of incarceration is deemed. I think they've recently allowed for a firearm to be allowed in your vehicle in a park. If you have a foid, that fire arm has to be locked and disassembled(which means unloaded). If you a permit holder, it is allowed to be in state of readiness or loaded.

attached is the website to download the laws.

https://try.usconcealedcarry.net/deltad ... inois%20-R

if you don't have a carry permit,....I wouldn't chance it. that barber guy by rainbow beach got killed because he wasn't a ccl holder and didn't comply and tried to draw on them when he got pissed....foid only allows you to buy a firearm in Illinois not to carry it around. I've been pulled over twice by cops for traffic violations and have been allowed to go on my merry way. I tell and show them that I am a ccl holder and comply as requested and they're very cool with you. they even want to have small talk about what you carry. one even commented that they wish there were more guys out there like me.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: