Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 


Author
Search for:
Message

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:42pm - Apr 25,14
Posts: 52
Location: Burns Harbor, IN

Post Posted: 12:20pm - Mar 8,19 
Top  
Hoping to start a thread for when and where the action is this Spring.

I went last weekend in Burns Harbor at a discharge and caught 4. I throw a 1/4oz white jig with a 3" white Mr. Twister tail - retrieve as fast as possible - somtimes tip with squid or eggs, i'm sure shrimp would work too, but might mess up the action of the tail. Some were pretty small, but they sure tasted just as good as the big ones! Oh, I also caught one of them on a silver hot 'n' tot.

I went again same spot on Wednesday and didn't get a bite! I think they are just starting to come in, so hopefully the warmer weather coming will bring more numbers.

Please post your catch below.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 08:50am - Jun 4,13
Posts: 229
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: 03:30pm - Mar 8,19 
Top  
Congrats on the first reported coho catch that I have seen of the season!!

Question for you: Was there any floating ice or is it fully ice free down there?

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 05:36pm - Mar 30,08
Posts: 1021
Location: Highland, IN

Post Posted: 09:23am - Mar 9,19 
Top  
There’s a lot of pack ice down here. You can get boats in the water, but you cant get out of the harbors in MC or Portage, at least not as of Friday. There is enough open water to fish and the fish are around to catch.

 Profile  

Offline
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member
User avatar

Joined: 10:35am - Feb 11,03
Posts: 8335
Location: Naperville

Post Posted: 01:34pm - Mar 9,19 
Top  
ogrecharger wrote:
Hoping to start a thread for when and where the action is this Spring.

I went last weekend in Burns Harbor at a discharge and caught 4. I throw a 1/4oz white jig with a 3" white Mr. Twister tail - retrieve as fast as possible - somtimes tip with squid or eggs, i'm sure shrimp would work too, but might mess up the action of the tail. Some were pretty small, but they sure tasted just as good as the big ones! Oh, I also caught one of them on a silver hot 'n' tot.

I went again same spot on Wednesday and didn't get a bite! I think they are just starting to come in, so hopefully the warmer weather coming will bring more numbers.

Please post your catch below.


Were you shore fishing, or from a boat?

Thanks for the report.

Tom

_________________
I've got to stop wishin'. Gota go fishin'...

Twin Fins

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:35pm - Oct 7,15
Posts: 190
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: 11:42am - Mar 11,19 
Top  
Did some recon on Saturday. South end of the lake completely locked up, save the occasional small holes of open water where there's current. The ditch was open up to the mouth and there were a few boats and many shore anglers out. No one I spoke to on the shore had any luck. I stopped at Jackson Harbor and fished a tiny plot of open water but no luck. Walked the pier and there was great visibility under a coat of skim ice on the beach side of the wall, but didn't see a single thing swimming. Hopefully things will start to clear out this week...

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:42pm - Apr 25,14
Posts: 52
Location: Burns Harbor, IN

Post Posted: 10:33am - Mar 12,19 
Top  
jwkuofm wrote:
Congrats on the first reported coho catch that I have seen of the season!!

Question for you: Was there any floating ice or is it fully ice free down there?


There was still ice floating, but the discharge melted an area big enough to cast around in. All the ice was gone as of yesterday.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:42pm - Apr 25,14
Posts: 52
Location: Burns Harbor, IN

Post Posted: 10:34am - Mar 12,19 
Top  
Tom wrote:
ogrecharger wrote:
Hoping to start a thread for when and where the action is this Spring.

I went last weekend in Burns Harbor at a discharge and caught 4. I throw a 1/4oz white jig with a 3" white Mr. Twister tail - retrieve as fast as possible - somtimes tip with squid or eggs, i'm sure shrimp would work too, but might mess up the action of the tail. Some were pretty small, but they sure tasted just as good as the big ones! Oh, I also caught one of them on a silver hot 'n' tot.

I went again same spot on Wednesday and didn't get a bite! I think they are just starting to come in, so hopefully the warmer weather coming will bring more numbers.

Please post your catch below.


Were you shore fishing, or from a boat?

Thanks for the report.

Tom


I'm always shore fishing - I don't have a boat.........yet.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:42pm - Apr 25,14
Posts: 52
Location: Burns Harbor, IN

Post Posted: 10:37am - Mar 12,19 
Top  
I spent a few hours yesterday at the discharge again. Caught one Smallmouth. Had a large fish follow a couple times - almost looked like a laker? I'm not sure if it would make sense for a laker to be hanging out that close to shore this time of year. I didn't catch any coho, but I did see a dead one on the bottom near shore - not sure why someone would have cut it open and left it to die......The few guys fishing around me did catch a few on live bait (minnows under a bobber).

I'm planning on trying again today - with this warm-up, they have to turn on soon!

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:42pm - Apr 25,14
Posts: 52
Location: Burns Harbor, IN

Post Posted: 11:49am - Mar 14,19 
Top  
Tried again yesterday - better results, slightly. Had a lot of follows, but they didn't want to commit. I finally remembered to get my squid out of the freezer so that should change things going forward.

Caught 3 ho's typical size. One monster brown.

Weather is great, hope I can find time before it gets cold again.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 08:50am - Jun 4,13
Posts: 229
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: 09:04am - Mar 15,19 
Top  
At this time of year the lakers are hanging super close to shore along structure. If you retrieve a little deeper you've got a solid shot at landing a monster.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 12:57pm - Feb 3,18
Posts: 14
Location: Naperville

Post Posted: 10:53am - Mar 15,19 
Top  
New to the Coho scene. Are they scattered throughout all harbors or do they typically hang in a general vicinity?

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:35pm - Oct 7,15
Posts: 190
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: 11:53am - Mar 15,19 
Top  
Quote:
New to the Coho scene. Are they scattered throughout all harbors or do they typically hang in a general vicinity?


You'll have much better luck working the lakeside opposed to harbor side. But yes, Montrose, behind the Planetarium, 31st Street, Jackson are all good bets. Early season (now) they usually school up at the very south end of the lake then start working their way up when the waters begin to warm. Trick is being in the right place at the right time when a school is going by.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:35pm - Oct 7,15
Posts: 190
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: 05:21pm - Mar 17,19 
Top  
Launched the kayak at 31st and trolled the harbor for about two hours, went 1-3 all on hot-n-tots. Brought one fat steelhead to net. Things should get even better this week as it warms. The bite is on!

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 01:42pm - Apr 25,14
Posts: 52
Location: Burns Harbor, IN

Post Posted: 11:08am - Mar 18,19 
Top  
I'm beginning to think i'm cursed. I have got 4 each time i've went lately, and the 5th is always still swimming!!!!

Lots of smallmouths too, the occasional big brown.

I'll have to try for Lakers now too!

 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to:  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum