Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Author
Search for:
Message

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 08:49pm - Feb 29,12
Posts: 371
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: 04:12pm - Mar 13,19 
Top  
Hey everyone. So I have been to LaSalle like once before but didn’t have a ton of luck from shore. Just looking for any helpful tips or information I am hoping to get out on Sunday which I’m guessing will be a crazy line. I’m going to fish from shore. If you have any tips on baits for cats that would be great also going to try and target bass as well.

Any information will help :thanks

_________________
Tight Lines! Keep Casting!

 Profile WWW  

Online
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member
User avatar

Joined: 10:35am - Feb 11,03
Posts: 8335
Location: Naperville

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Mar 13,19 
Top  
I'd suggest you pack light, and bring a bike to ride out. The further you can get to the discharge side, at this early time of the year, will get you more warmer water and active fish. Casting parallel to the rip rap has always produced more fish for me. Majority of the fish are going to be 6 to 10 feet from the rip rap.

Tom

_________________
I've got to stop wishin'. Gota go fishin'...

Twin Fins

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 08:49pm - Feb 29,12
Posts: 371
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: 05:11pm - Mar 13,19 
Top  
Tom wrote:
I'd suggest you pack light, and bring a bike to ride out. The further you can get to the discharge side, at this early time of the year, will get you more warmer water and active fish. Casting parallel to the rip rap has always produced more fish for me. Majority of the fish are going to be 6 to 10 feet from the rip rap.

Tom




Awesome thank you for the information

_________________
Tight Lines! Keep Casting!

 Profile WWW  

Offline
Chitown-Angler
User avatar

Joined: 01:45pm - Jan 31,08
Posts: 169

Post Posted: 09:28am - Mar 14,19 
Top  
Is there a way to find out the wind condition there before I make my 2+ hr trip?

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 07:43pm - Nov 21,14
Posts: 690
Location: United States

Post Posted: 01:38pm - Mar 14,19 
Top  
Go to the intellicast weather available on the site and type in Marseilles which I think is the closest city and it will give you direction and speed.Keep in mind you're on an elevated dike so it magnifies the wind.Also heavy east or west wind can make fishing difficult.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 04:24pm - Feb 4,13
Posts: 145

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Mar 14,19 
Top  
3" Gulp minnows on an 1/8 oz. Jig head... or preferably 4" Gulp minnow on a 3/16 jighead, (to reduce the bites from small channel cats) and your arms will hurt from catching so many fish.

Fish closer to shore. On the dropoff edge where the rocks end is key. I have caught 8 different species of fish in an outing like this, standing on the same rock.

A bicycle to cover ground really helps.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 06:57pm - Oct 6,03
Posts: 442
Location: Lombard, Illinois

Post Posted: 11:26am - Mar 15,19 
Top  
To Bassman93:

Also fish live bait {minnows/crawlers} at around 12"-18" under your float with no weight at all.

Since you'll be fishing from shore, cast your float to your right or left directly into the rip-rap. {Maybe just 3-5 feet from shore at most}.

The more your bait "is in the rocks" the better you'll do. {That's why you don't use any type of split shot}

Also, a 1" gulp minnow has worked well for me using the same technique.

.

_________________
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

-Carl Sagan

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler
User avatar

Joined: 07:09pm - Nov 4,08
Posts: 457
Location: Bolingbrook, IL

Post Posted: 12:20pm - Mar 15,19 
Top  
When I was a kid on my parents boat, nothing beat leeches under a slip bobber rig fished right off the edge of the rip rap. Channel cats non-stop.

 Profile WWW  

Offline
Chitown-Angler
User avatar

Joined: 08:16am - May 17,08
Posts: 190
Location: Lockport Township

Post Posted: 07:09am - Mar 16,19 
Top  
Fish the mud line from shore or boat. It's just reverse direction from where you cast. From shore start at the mud line and work up the rip-rap.
From a boat I start at the top of the rip-rap where it meats the water and work all the way down to the mud line. Fan casting from shore or boat
can cover more rock than casting straight out. I like my baits to touch the rocks on the retrieve. Use heavier line and a pole with some backbone.
You will either straighten out a hook or move a rock before your gear breaks.

I was out there opening day when the lake 1st available to the public. Caught a 23" LM off shore.

While fishing for bass I've caught Walleye and Catfish.

I've had huge bass turn on their sides to follow my baits in the last foot of water before they hit while fishing from shore.

Fun lake if you can deal with the wind at the boat ramp.

Dave

_________________
16 Ft Lund Pike/Rebel
40 HP Johnson Tiller

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 08:49pm - Feb 29,12
Posts: 371
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: 07:22am - Mar 16,19 
Top  
dupagewader wrote:
Fish the mud line from shore or boat. It's just reverse direction from where you cast. From shore start at the mud line and work up the rip-rap.
From a boat I start at the top of the rip-rap where it meats the water and work all the way down to the mud line. Fan casting from shore or boat
can cover more rock than casting straight out. I like my baits to touch the rocks on the retrieve. Use heavier line and a pole with some backbone.
You will either straighten out a hook or move a rock before your gear breaks.

I was out there opening day when the lake 1st available to the public. Caught a 23" LM off shore.

While fishing for bass I've caught Walleye and Catfish.

I've had huge bass turn on their sides to follow my baits in the last foot of water before they hit while fishing from shore.

Fun lake if you can deal with the wind at the boat ramp.




Dave


I’m fishing from shore how far should I walk?

_________________
Tight Lines! Keep Casting!

 Profile WWW  

Online
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member
User avatar

Joined: 10:35am - Feb 11,03
Posts: 8335
Location: Naperville

Post Posted: 09:08am - Mar 16,19 
Top  
BassMan93 wrote:
dupagewader wrote:
Fish the mud line from shore or boat. It's just reverse direction from where you cast. From shore start at the mud line and work up the rip-rap.
From a boat I start at the top of the rip-rap where it meats the water and work all the way down to the mud line. Fan casting from shore or boat
can cover more rock than casting straight out. I like my baits to touch the rocks on the retrieve. Use heavier line and a pole with some backbone.
You will either straighten out a hook or move a rock before your gear breaks.

I was out there opening day when the lake 1st available to the public. Caught a 23" LM off shore.

While fishing for bass I've caught Walleye and Catfish.

I've had huge bass turn on their sides to follow my baits in the last foot of water before they hit while fishing from shore.

Fun lake if you can deal with the wind at the boat ramp.




Dave


I’m fishing from shore how far should I walk?


As far as your feet will take you. The further you go, the warmer the water is going to get at this early time of the year. Once the summer, the cooler side is usually better.

Tom

_________________
I've got to stop wishin'. Gota go fishin'...

Twin Fins

 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 11 posts ] 

Board index » Lakes » Cooling Lakes
Jump to:  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum