Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:12pm - Mar 13,19 
Hey everyone. So I have been to LaSalle like once before but didn’t have a ton of luck from shore. Just looking for any helpful tips or information I am hoping to get out on Sunday which I’m guessing will be a crazy line. I’m going to fish from shore. If you have any tips on baits for cats that would be great also going to try and target bass as well.

Any information will help :thanks

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Mar 13,19 
I'd suggest you pack light, and bring a bike to ride out. The further you can get to the discharge side, at this early time of the year, will get you more warmer water and active fish. Casting parallel to the rip rap has always produced more fish for me. Majority of the fish are going to be 6 to 10 feet from the rip rap.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:11pm - Mar 13,19 
Tom wrote:
I'd suggest you pack light, and bring a bike to ride out. The further you can get to the discharge side, at this early time of the year, will get you more warmer water and active fish. Casting parallel to the rip rap has always produced more fish for me. Majority of the fish are going to be 6 to 10 feet from the rip rap.

Tom

Awesome thank you for the information

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:28am - Mar 14,19 
Is there a way to find out the wind condition there before I make my 2+ hr trip?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:38pm - Mar 14,19 
Go to the intellicast weather available on the site and type in Marseilles which I think is the closest city and it will give you direction and speed.Keep in mind you're on an elevated dike so it magnifies the wind.Also heavy east or west wind can make fishing difficult.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Mar 14,19 
3" Gulp minnows on an 1/8 oz. Jig head... or preferably 4" Gulp minnow on a 3/16 jighead, (to reduce the bites from small channel cats) and your arms will hurt from catching so many fish.

Fish closer to shore. On the dropoff edge where the rocks end is key. I have caught 8 different species of fish in an outing like this, standing on the same rock.

A bicycle to cover ground really helps.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - Mar 15,19 
To Bassman93:

Also fish live bait {minnows/crawlers} at around 12"-18" under your float with no weight at all.

Since you'll be fishing from shore, cast your float to your right or left directly into the rip-rap. {Maybe just 3-5 feet from shore at most}.

The more your bait "is in the rocks" the better you'll do. {That's why you don't use any type of split shot}

Also, a 1" gulp minnow has worked well for me using the same technique.

-Carl Sagan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:20pm - Mar 15,19 
When I was a kid on my parents boat, nothing beat leeches under a slip bobber rig fished right off the edge of the rip rap. Channel cats non-stop.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09am - Mar 16,19 
Fish the mud line from shore or boat. It's just reverse direction from where you cast. From shore start at the mud line and work up the rip-rap.
From a boat I start at the top of the rip-rap where it meats the water and work all the way down to the mud line. Fan casting from shore or boat
can cover more rock than casting straight out. I like my baits to touch the rocks on the retrieve. Use heavier line and a pole with some backbone.
You will either straighten out a hook or move a rock before your gear breaks.

I was out there opening day when the lake 1st available to the public. Caught a 23" LM off shore.

While fishing for bass I've caught Walleye and Catfish.

I've had huge bass turn on their sides to follow my baits in the last foot of water before they hit while fishing from shore.

Fun lake if you can deal with the wind at the boat ramp.

Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:22am - Mar 16,19 
dupagewader wrote:
Fish the mud line from shore or boat. It's just reverse direction from where you cast. From shore start at the mud line and work up the rip-rap.
From a boat I start at the top of the rip-rap where it meats the water and work all the way down to the mud line. Fan casting from shore or boat
can cover more rock than casting straight out. I like my baits to touch the rocks on the retrieve. Use heavier line and a pole with some backbone.

I was out there opening day when the lake 1st available to the public. Caught a 23" LM off shore.

I've had huge bass turn on their sides to follow my baits in the last foot of water before they hit while fishing from shore.

Dave

I’m fishing from shore how far should I walk?

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:08am - Mar 16,19 
BassMan93 wrote:
dupagewader wrote:

Dave

I’m fishing from shore how far should I walk?

As far as your feet will take you. The further you go, the warmer the water is going to get at this early time of the year. Once the summer, the cooler side is usually better.

Tom

Twin Fins

Board index » Lakes » Cooling Lakes
Jump to: