Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:19pm - Aug 21,18 
Good Afternoon CTAs,

I just picked up a couple brand-new kayaks over the weekend and need some help with optimal setup. Found the Sundolphin Journey 10ss and Bali 12ss for $75 each, and couldn’t pass up the deal. Now, one of the kayaks will just be for my girlfriend to paddle in, the other will be rigged for Fishing and hunting. Any help is greatly appreciated. My questions follow:

1. Which kayak should I rig for Fishing?
2. Is it worth making outriggers?
3. What is the best way to store tackletrays/net/etc. so they are accessible.
4. Any suggestions for carts or wheels or something of that sort for transporting from vehicle to shore?
5. Any suggestions for car top racks (she drives a Subaru cross trek)?
6. Anyone y’all Fishing up near lake Zurich Wauconda area that wants to get out and do some stealth fishing?

PS: The lady had one more brandnew sundolphin sit-in Kayak left yesterday. PM me for details if you’re interested; I have her number and can make a call to reserve it for you if it’s still available. She said she’s be around tomorrow, Wednesday, for pick up.

Thanks,
Pannie Popper

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:25pm - Aug 21,18 
Easy to make a cart with pvc. If you can find a couple wheels from a Power Wheels kid ride, they work great. Pad the pvc with pool noodles where it contacts the yak.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:33pm - Aug 21,18 
You have a pm

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:16pm - Aug 21,18 
In my experience i would take both kayaks out (with out fishing gear) and try them out for a day, push it to the limits (take a dip in the water on purpose). Then pick the one you felt most comfortable/ stable in. I am thinking it will be the 12ss just because it is bigger should be more stable.

As for tackle storage i had good luck using a back pack in the front of my cockpit (it was a sit inside kayak). After moving up to a sit on top i really like a over sized milk crate behind the seat, i have a wide boat so reaching behind the seat is not an issue. maybe practice during your test paddle.

Not sure if the out riggers are really needed, but one thing that i use alot is a anchor system. i find it really nice to use retractable dog leashes from harbor feright. they work really well keeping line neat and out of the way. i use reusable zip ties and clip on or near the seat and then take the line to the kayak handle (attached by carabiner) and then to into the water. i use either a heavy chain about 8 inches long, or a old window weight cut down to the right weight for what you need for the "anchor" i use two one in front and one in back, only down side is that you are limited to 25' of rope but for me i seldom fish deep. you will be surprised how much a little wind will blow you around. i just cant see paying $100 for a anchor wizard system even though they look nice

one other thing i find it hard to go with out now is a fish finder, not sure if you are looking to mount one up but it is really nice to have.

for carts, i ordered seattle sports scupper swift from amazon for like $90 and its made really well, but if your kayak is near 100lbs i would not go that route it will damage your boat.
get or make one that sits flat on the bottom of the boat, i was in a pinch and needed one right away and had to pay more then i wanted and got a C-tug it is really nice (even though its all plastic) i might have made one if i had more time (it was right before a big fishing trip and i found out my boat was to heavy for the seattle cart, but my wife has used it for years with no problem)

hope some of this helps

Board index » The Tackle Box » Kayak & Canoes - Fishing with Stealth
Jump to: